[vt100] Come on "down"

  • Bill Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2000
      Steve,
      Thanks for the information. I really like the idea of fresh socks so
      will definitely incorporate that into my game plan. Have been working
      on the powerwalking technique and feel comfortable going both up and
      down. Will need to work on jogging down a few more hills for sure.
      You are more than welcome to head "down" this way for a run. There are
      currently 4 of us from Maine entered to run Vermont this summer that I
      know of. All of us are middle to back of the pack type runners so
      speed is not a consideration when we go out, and we definitely know
      about time on one's feet!!

      I have met Craig Wilson at a couple of events and he is probably one of
      the nicest guys out there--gotta' love the whistling exhalation he
      does. First time I heard him coming up behind me (loop course) I could
      not figure out what was making the unique noise, then I realized that
      the guy with the big beard and wild hair was the source of the sound.
      I wasn't sure if he was in pain or doing it on purpose, but he slowed
      down to chat (my first ultra) and told me how his system works. So now
      whenever I hear that familiar sound in the woods I known Craig is
      somewhere nearby or coming up from behind (loop courses only--point to
      point I only see him at the start and finish).

      Back to hill training--we are hoping to do Acadia this weekend, but the
      park is currently closed due to soft trail conditions. As you know
      this time of year in Maine is difficult, the trails are either mud,
      snow, ice, water, etc and while challenging can also be frustrating so
      we are trying to find some trails where constructive training can take
      place.
      Like you we are getting excited and also have other ultras to do before
      Vermont. I am headed for Bull Run next month and the others are headed
      for different races.
      See ya on the trails.
      Bill