[vt100] Re: Welcome and thanks

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7 2:45 PM
      Hi Bill...

      Pick my brain all You want, but just remember, I'm not the experienced
      one here...I think Frank and Jeff have done lots more than I...as a
      matter of fact, Jeff has done more just last year than most of the
      population on the face of the earth!

      But the main thing to do in Maine ;-)...is just powerwalk up the hills.
      Hills as long as You can get and then run down somewhat hard to work
      the quads.
      I remember at Vermont in '98 (my first 100), the hardest thing to do
      was to get myself to run the downhills after mile 80. The quads are
      sore and walking is just so easy, but you just have to push through the
      pain and jog down...it really will make a difference.

      Another thing...there are so many aid stations that You really can't
      spend too much time at them all. Pick out a couple of biggies, like
      CTB's#1&2 and plan on staying there for five minutes or so to just
      regroup, change shoes, eat or whatever...just take a breath and relax a
      bit before hitting the road again.
      If you stay at every aid station for just one minute, You've lost an
      hour and 12 minutes right there off you're time. Most of the aid
      stations, I just grab something to eat while the volunteers filled my
      bottle that I carried, and moved on, eating while walking up the
      road...and never sit down...beware the chair!

      You really can get by without a crew because You can leave a drop bag
      just about everywhere...but if You leave too many it can get confusing,
      so what I did is leave one every 20 miles with something special to
      eat...something to look forward to, whether it be an Ensure or maybe
      just a brownie or something...plus whatever is neccessary, like Succeed
      cap replacements, drink replacements, socks (I like fresh socks every
      20 miles)...whatever You like, put it in there.

      Good conversation...lets' keep it up, I'm getting psyched!
      ttyl,
      Steve Pero
      peros@...

      PS: Maybe I can drive "down" Maine someday and join You for a run. Do
      You know Craig WIlson? He's a friend of mine...