Re: [vt100] Some Tips for all you pacers out there..

  • karen_claire@gillette.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2000
      Deb,

      These rules are great! I forwarded them on to my Vermont pacers - a
      friend from CTB until Bill's, and my boyfriend (who you met Saturday)
      from then on. One rule that I might add, which you may have never
      been going slow enough to have experienced :) is:

      3a. Never allow your runner to see that you can keep up with their
      'running' pace by walking. If at all possible, fake that you are
      running, or, if it is impossible to do anything resembling running at
      their pace, walk behind them. :)

      Karen

      Subject: [vt100] Some Tips for all you pacers out there..
      Author: vt100@egroups.com (reno_debra@...) at GILLETTE
      Date: 7/4/00 6:43 PM

> [...]
      > with a variety of imaginative swear words as answers to any suggestions
      > you might make in this regard. In this circumstance, the pacer should
      > just smile and secretly stash some food for the moment, approximately 5
      > minutes out of the aid station, when the runner will suddenly decide that
      > she does indeed want that turkey sandwich. At this point, the pacer
      > should NOT say, "I knew you would want this, so I brought some with me".
      > The proper response is to say, "well, I took one for myself, and I can't
      > finish it all, would you like half?" This way, the runner is spared any
      > embarrassment over her childish behavior at the aid station. The same
      > goes for: bandaids, vaseline, and toilet paper.
      >
      > 7. The pacer must bear silently any pain, sickness, blisters, thirst,
      > broken legs or kidney failure. Only the runner is allowed to have these
      > things.
      >
      > 8. The pacer should be motivational, as in, "How about we run to that
      > next glowstick?" or "I think we can reel in that next runner". If the
      > next runner is lying comatose in the trail, so much the better, as you can
      > pass strongly, and then remark to your runner, "wow, you passed that guy
      > just like he was standing still!"
      >
      > 9. The pacer should help the runner get through the aid stations as
      > quickly as possible, while at the same time, refueling and getting
      > necessary supplies for himself.
      > It is also expected that the pacer should anticipate any other needs the
      > runner might have. Developing your skills of mind-reading will be helpful
      > at this point.
      >
      > 10. The runner may tell you she wants to quit. If a runner
      > expresses a deep desire to drop out,("deep desire" is defined as lying
      > down in the middle of the trail and refusing to go on) the pacer should
      > get the runner to the next aid station. At that point, if the runner is
      > still wanting to drop, find out when the cut off is for that aid station.
      > Allow the runner to remain there within 30 min. of that cutoff if
      > possible. After some rest and refueling, many runners find they can
      > continue. And they will forever be in your debt for keeping them in the
      > race. They will, however, re-tell the story so that it appears they never
      > really wanted to drop at all, and may even twist the truth to appear that
      > they stopped at that aid station in order to give YOU a break. This will
      > sound something like, "Well, I COULD have broken XX hours, but my pacer...
      > etc. etc."
      >
      > 11. Once the runner finishes, they will likely want to give you a hug of
      > gratitude. Considering the fact that they have been running for approx.
      > 24 hours, possibly have barfed or had other bodily malfunctions, this may
      > not be a pleasant prospect for you. Just endure it, because, you don't
      > smell so good yourself, buddy.
      >
      > 12. Rest, eat and drink, and then get with other pacers and tell all the
      > stuff that REALLY happened out there on the trail.....

    • eric ivey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2000
        Deb, I think you tried to kill me! You had me laughing so hard at your
        rules that I damn near choked to death on my McFlurry!

        I'd probably stay away from that trail race this weekend. I was
        thinking about doing a short biathlon near here this coming sunday but
        opted not to because it's just too close to next week to risk injury.
        Then again, you have far more experience at these 100 milers than I do
        (especially since I have a total of NONE), so I'm sure you know your
        body well enough to make the best decision for you.

        I went down to the Mall in D.C. for the fireworks last night and lemme
        tell you all - there is just something amazingly cool about celebrating
        the 4th of July in the nation's Capital! If you ever get the chance, I
        highly recommend it!

        Eric
      • Raney Maj Johnny R
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
          Okay Eric, didn't you hear, McFlurries produce slow run times. Just
          kidding. Well ladies and gentlemen we are only 9 days from the big event.
          Hope everyone is done experimenting with new shoes, new drinks and whatever
          else they are thinking about using for the race and ready to JUST DO IT!
          (sorry Nike, had to use that). It is this time before a race that I get
          nervous, not for the run, but because I hate to taper down. It seems I
          enjoy the training miles more than the races because I do not have to think
          about it much except to just go out and run whenever I feel like it.
          Whereas the race makes you plan, car, hotel, food, beverage, extra this,
          extra that and hope I didn't train too much, when am I gonna run last, no
          Mexican food, cut down on alcohol. Talk about taxing my brain, give me a
          nice trail and no timer and let me go and see you again someday. But alas,
          we get to the end and I have to get to work. Look forward too seeing you
          all at the race and don't forget to smile along the way.

          John

          Deb, I think you tried to kill me! You had me laughing so hard at your
          rules that I damn near choked to death on my McFlurry!

          I'd probably stay away from that trail race this weekend. I was
          thinking about doing a short biathlon near here this coming sunday but
          opted not to because it's just too close to next week to risk injury.
          Then again, you have far more experience at these 100 milers than I do
          (especially since I have a total of NONE), so I'm sure you know your
          body well enough to make the best decision for you.

          I went down to the Mall in D.C. for the fireworks last night and lemme
          tell you all - there is just something amazingly cool about celebrating
          the 4th of July in the nation's Capital! If you ever get the chance, I
          highly recommend it!

          Eric

          Where do sports heroes like Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm,
          Vince Carter and Peyton Manning hang out? Where else?
          Click now and find 'em all here!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/6211/8/_/380619/_/962847753/
        • eric ivey
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
            Actually, McFlurries, especially Butterfinger flavor, are the best food
            on the planet - with the exception of Macaroni and Cheese, of course!
            Give me a daily ration of those 2 and I'm set!

            So, we're supposed to be done experimenting with things now? Hmm, cuz I
            was thinking of trying new socks at VT - that should be ok right? Just
            kidding! Speaking of new things, I bought a new pair of Montrail Leona
            Divides a couple weeks ago, and after only 2 runs one of the shoelace
            eyelets ripped off! I went back to exchange them and had to wait over a
            week for them to order my size. I just got them yesterday and will do
            my best to break them in before the 15th....but I'm only planning on
            running 2 or 3 more times, and not very far. At least I have another
            pair that are already broken in so it's not like I'm going into it with
            completely foreign shoes on my feet. The plan is to wear the old pair
            for 50, then the new ones for the last 50.

            Oh yeah, Johnny, since you mentioned it at LHT, I've been using Endurox
            Excel, and I really like the effects of it. It definitely delays the
            onset of lactic acid, especially during hard cycling workouts. And my
            lungs don't catch fire as easily as they used to.

            Ok, I'm heading out for my last trail run this afternoon...