Re: [vt100] New Thread

  • thewashman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 1969
      Frank,

      I'm back from my long weekend.

      <<Ol' Frank - who is back to feeling his age (it's high 80's>>

      Somehow, Frank, I thought you were much younger that the high 80's.

      See in a week from Friday.

      Later,
      Jeff Washburn
    • Frank Probst
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
        Deb: At times I think it would be nice to have grand kids and at
        times, not. Taking it easy these last two weeks will not hurt you.
        You are right about the field. I imagine that at least seven of the
        ladies will beat me too, providing that I finish.

        I never take electrolyte tabs during training and do not take them
        for the first couple hours of an ultra. I take my first one when
        my stomach starts to lock up. The salt usually keeps things moving
        out of the stomach. I also take one anytime I start cramping. I
        know some people take them every X hours or minutes, but you can
        recover from too little salt by popping a tab with water. You have a
        much harder time recovering from too much salt. I do think the salt
        has helped with my finicky stomach and with cramping during the later
        stages of an ultra. I probably should have carried tabs with me when
        we were marking the MMT trail as I nearly passed out going up
        Waterfall in the sun and heat in the late afternoon the day before
        the
        MMT. I had two bottles of plain water, but they did not do the trick.

        This morning, I had some honey-do errands to run and did not do my
        training run until 11:30. I went 9 miles and then from 1PM to 5PM, I
        washed and waxed vehicles (of course there is a big thunderstorm out
        side right now and my roof is leaking, but that's another story.) So
        I spent four hours after my run out in the hot sun. I drank a lot of
        water and Pepsi. While eating supper, I got a cramp in my hand. The
        salt with the food and plenty more water seems to have taken care of
        it. If I get another cramp, I will certainly pop a tab. (Looks like
        I will be in the sun again tomorrow, on my roof.)

        Have fun with the baby.

        Frank

        --- In vt100@egroups.com, reno_debra@e... wrote:
        > Yep Frank, I'm babysitting... it is forcing a taper because I
        have
        > no baby jogger - I actually might have a total two week layoff
        before
        > Vermont as I am keeping her every day.
        > Dont know if that's a good thing or not.. I will have gained
        30
        > pounds by then because my appetite thinks I'm still doing lots of
        > mileage....
        > :-O Just look for the chubby red-headed runner with the Texas
        drawl
        > - that would be me!
        >
        > I did get out on some very hilly trails this past Saturday for
        about
        > 20 miles maybe - but it felt like 50, so I dont know what that
        means.. I
        > haven't felt recovered really truely since Massanutten.... must be
        this age
        > thing - darn!!! Plus, it doesnt much matter, anyway.. Having
        looked
        at the
        > women's field for this year's race, I could run a personal best by
        5
        hours
        > and still only finish maybe 7th or 8th woman! So, for me, it'll
        just be to
        > have a good time, and do some socializing out there on the trails
        with all
        > you guys. Frank, since we wont be seeing the horses this year,
        does
        that
        > mean those big tubs full of water and sponges wont be out there?
        Even with
        > horse slobber mixed in, they felt pretty good in the 100 degree
        heat
        last
        > year!
        >
        > and here's a question: I think it's been discussed before,
        though
        > perhaps not on this forum.. does anyone else refrain from taking
        salt tabs
        > during training to "train" the body to become more efficient in
        conserving
        > salt? Does it make a difference? I typically do not use the
        Succeed tabs
        > during training runs. I just wondered if this has any effect during
        > races... I have noticed that my sweat seems to be less salty
        tasting
        now
        > that we've have a good week of hot and humid weather -
        >
        > see ya'll in two weeks!! yippee!
        > deb
        >

        > ]

        friends