Horseless VT100

  • runtrails1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2000
      Some of you already know this, but others may not. I posted this to
      the ultra list yesterday and forgot the e-group, so you may have
      already read it. Delete away!

      Be forewarned: the horses aren't running with us this year. They had
      to run a couple weekends ago "due to a qualifier that needed to be
      done earlier than our event," according to Priscilla Tucker, the new
      race director. "We are hoping that this will only happen this year."

      Please do *not* write or call Priscilla about the horse race; she's
      really swamped, this is her first year directing our race, and she's
      out of town for a few days, too. If you have questions about the
      foot race that aren't answered on the web site or in the information
      the entrants have already received, I'm sure she'll be just as gracious
      answering you as she was answering me. I'm looking forward to
      meeting her and offering to help out in the days before the race.

      I have mixed feelings about no horses. On the one hand, I loved
      learning about that race, meeting the riders, and running alongside
      the four-legged athletes when I ran the race in 1998. Part of the
      reason I wanted to return to the race this year (besides avenging
      my dnf at 85 miles) was to "run with the horses" again. It was a
      great distraction! On the other hand, I came real close to having a
      horse step on my foot one time on a deep, narrow trail when I didn't
      move over far enough (probably my fault as much as the rider, who
      came from behind me). But to me, the advantages of having the
      horses run with us during the daytime far out-weighed any minor
      disadvantages.

      I'm grateful the owners of Smoke Rise are allowing us to use their
      beautiful horse farm to stage the race again, even though the horse
      race isn't the same date. If you like the place, please let the Rojeks
      know before or after the race so the foot race can continue to be
      staged from there in the future. Again, Priscilla predicts in future
      years the horse race WILL run concurrently with the foot race. But
      if it makes a difference to you, check *before* you enter the race.

      Now, let's all hope for cool, dry weather in Vermont on July 15-16!

      Happy trails,
      Sue Norwood
      Billings, MT
    • Frank Probst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2000
        Sue: I have only run with horses three times and I will not miss
        them. The runs were one Groundhog and two VT. I had stomach trouble
        at each of those runs (actually I have only had two ultras when I did
        not have stomach trouble). The smell of good fresh horse droppings
        on
        a twisted stomach just did not seem to be the cure for nausea. Even
        when piles were not visible, you could still smell the horses. Naw,
        will not miss that at all. As you already pointed out, it can be
        tricky getting passed by thoses big fellows on narrow trails. Will
        not miss that either. It is bad enough that I get passed by all
        those runners who go out smart and keep their stomachs under
        control. There will be enough beautiful horses at Smoke Rise and
        other farms we run by, so we will get to see horses. Last time I
        also
        saw playful otters and a mama wild turkey with a brood of half grown
        younsters. I do not remember if I saw any deer as they are common
        on a trail run and do not remember any squirrels. Where I live,
        squirrels are very abundant, so I notice not seeing them as unusual.
        Of course, if those big dogs out front would not scare everything
        away, we would see more animals.

        Frank