Re: [vt100] New Thread

  • thewashman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 1969
      Frank,

      I'm back from my long weekend.

      <<Ol' Frank - who is back to feeling his age (it's high 80's>>

      Somehow, Frank, I thought you were much younger that the high 80's.

      See in a week from Friday.

      Later,
      Jeff Washburn
    • ed516p@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2000
        Hi Frank
        ed here and I appreciate the opportunity to share some.
        I coincidentally was running this morning thinking about Vermont, my second
        100, and thinking about you and your recent post about the weather. I had
        trouble at Laurel with a few things the top two I think were being so close
        to MMT and then the heat. I read an article on, I think Kevin Sayer's site
        about heat acclimation so... I have been purposely (is that a word??)
        delaying my morning runs until mid afternoon to get the hottest part of the
        day. It was hot and humid and I only did about ten miles each day yesterday
        and today but it still feels great. Just gettin out on the trails and in the
        mood is addicting. I run and daydream about running through new ground in
        Vermont, seeing Mountains I have not seen and pushing myself to complete
        another 100. I love every component of the ultras: the distance, the
        challenge, the adventure, testing myself, being in the woods, seeing new
        towns and new terrain and then the comaraderie (I doubt even spell check can
        fix this one), running at night. I like running alone and I like running with
        other trail runners. And I do like trying to solve all these problems that so
        many of us share: what to eat, what shoes to wear, what gear to have, how to
        strategize the runs, timing, etc. etc.

        I look forward to the responses to your question about trail shoes versus
        running shoes. I have some Asics 2050 which are good and some Montrail
        Vitess's which are relatively new. I love the trail shoes and like the
        additional support and protection and was thinking of going with them to
        Vermont but one of these shoes is causing heel problems on my left foot only.
        I also know that the Asics address my overpronation and are lighter. In
        addition, a fellow ultra runner who works at a shoe store has constantly
        talked my out of trail shoes knowing I run the AT and Massanutten. I dont
        think I have 250 miles on either and really dont want to buy a new pair
        untill I feel confident I know which one to go with. From what I have been
        learning, Vermont is not near as rocky and rooty as what I am used to , so
        running shoes may be best. Not a huge problem but I look forward to hearing
        what other peoples experience has been.

        BTW I could not go to Bull Run yesterday (my wife's birthday) but will meet
        with Anstr et.al. tomorrow for some type of run in DC.

        Thanks Frank, I wish you good luck in Vermont

        Ed
      • eric ivey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2000
          Hey Frank and all,
          I'm not doing much this 4 day weekend either, except that it's not a 4
          day weekend for me - I'm on my way in for a mid-shift in about half an
          hour (1:00 am).
          I got a 2nd pair of trail shoes (Montrail Leona Divide) for VT yesterday
          but I have to return them because a lace eyelet tore off. My plan is to
          use one pair per 50 miles, just to have something new on my feet....even
          though both pairs are exactly the same.
          Since the aid stations are so close together, I assume most people's
          plan is to just carry one bottle with them? I'm just trying to decide
          if I want to use a hand-held or a single-bottle waist pack. I felt so
          free yesterday when I ran with Michelle carrying all my water on the
          bike....hmmm, maybe I'll just have her ride 100 miles with me. Or even
          better, I could just ride my mountain bike and carry my water myself so
          as not to get called for muling.
          Anyway, I better get going...the Air Force calls.

          Eric

          Frank Probst wrote:

          > Well, I know Eric, Ed, the Washman and Johnny are still alive, a lot
          > of onesies and zeros were generated by a person who either droped or
          > dropped (not literally), and there is a lot of BS on the ultra list
          > about being politically correct even if the issue is not worth our
          > time. Has everyone else died or quit? I am stuck at home this 4th
          > of
          > July weekend, there is absolutely nothing on TV and all my friends on
          > this list must be completely ready and have gone to the beach (or to
          > Silverton). Deb must be baby-sitting. Martha, where are you? I saw a
          > fellow VHTRC lady going to VT on the trail this morning. She did 21
          > trail miles yesterday AM and was on her way to a 13 or so today. I
          > felt like I was being lazy as I only did 12 yesterday and 5 this
          > morning and am still having hip joint aches from LHHT. It is tough
          > balance healing/recovering and yet keep up the mileage. This
          > particular runner was covered in goose bumps yesterday at the start
          > of
          > our run along Bull Run, so she is probably praying for hot weather
          > while I am trying to will a nice cool day. Faith moves mountains (or
          > at least helps you climb over them). I am hoping that she makes all
          > the cutoffs this time. She is still looking for her first 100 finish.
          >
          > I have ordered two pair of new shoes on Friday, but still only plan
          > on
          > wearing one pair to get me through VT. Do they make big trail shoes
          > (size 13/14) for us high arched, narrowed foot, folks who just need
          > cushioning and not a lot of stability. I hate to waste the price of
          > pair when road shoes have carried me through over 60 ultras. I would
          > have 70 if I would quit dnfing. Maybe not using trails shoes is the
          > problem.
          >
          > Doesn't anyone have some wild new light, water pack, or magic drink,
          > nutrition bar or shoe that we can talk about? Responses welcome. I
          > need help to get through the next two weeks.
          >
          > Ol' Frank - who is back to feeling his age (it's high 80's, but not
          > too humid, so it IS the heat too!)

          > 0% Introductory APR!
          > Instant Approval!
          > Aria Visa - get yours today.
        • Martha
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
            Hi, Frank!

            Thanks for the inquiry <Martha, where are you?> -- yes, I have been
            rather quiet later. Due to some extenuating circumstances (possible
            foot problem), I won't be able to run Vermont. I've been pretty bummed
            about it, but there's always another year. However, the rest of the
            Richmond (& Charlottesville) contingent will be there - Ken Hubbard
            (5th at LH), John Deeter, Bill Harrold and Russell Gill.

            Good to hear that everyone on the list is feeling pretty good and is
            ready to go. I wish you all the best and I hope the weather is a
            little more seasonable than last year.

            Have a great race!

            Martha

            http://invites.yahoo.com/
          • reno_debra@emc.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
              Yep Frank, I'm babysitting... it is forcing a taper because I have
              no baby jogger - I actually might have a total two week layoff before
              Vermont as I am keeping her every day.
              Dont know if that's a good thing or not.. I will have gained 30
              pounds by then because my appetite thinks I'm still doing lots of
              mileage....
              :-O Just look for the chubby red-headed runner with the Texas drawl
              - that would be me!

              I did get out on some very hilly trails this past Saturday for about
              20 miles maybe - but it felt like 50, so I dont know what that means.. I
              haven't felt recovered really truely since Massanutten.... must be this age
              thing - darn!!! Plus, it doesnt much matter, anyway.. Having looked at the
              women's field for this year's race, I could run a personal best by 5 hours
              and still only finish maybe 7th or 8th woman! So, for me, it'll just be to
              have a good time, and do some socializing out there on the trails with all
              you guys. Frank, since we wont be seeing the horses this year, does that
              mean those big tubs full of water and sponges wont be out there? Even with
              horse slobber mixed in, they felt pretty good in the 100 degree heat last
              year!

              and here's a question: I think it's been discussed before, though
              perhaps not on this forum.. does anyone else refrain from taking salt tabs
              during training to "train" the body to become more efficient in conserving
              salt? Does it make a difference? I typically do not use the Succeed tabs
              during training runs. I just wondered if this has any effect during
              races... I have noticed that my sweat seems to be less salty tasting now
              that we've have a good week of hot and humid weather -

              see ya'll in two weeks!! yippee!
              deb

              ]

            • Frank Probst
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
                Deb: At times I think it would be nice to have grand kids and at
                times, not. Taking it easy these last two weeks will not hurt you.
                You are right about the field. I imagine that at least seven of the
                ladies will beat me too, providing that I finish.

                I never take electrolyte tabs during training and do not take them
                for the first couple hours of an ultra. I take my first one when
                my stomach starts to lock up. The salt usually keeps things moving
                out of the stomach. I also take one anytime I start cramping. I
                know some people take them every X hours or minutes, but you can
                recover from too little salt by popping a tab with water. You have a
                much harder time recovering from too much salt. I do think the salt
                has helped with my finicky stomach and with cramping during the later
                stages of an ultra. I probably should have carried tabs with me when
                we were marking the MMT trail as I nearly passed out going up
                Waterfall in the sun and heat in the late afternoon the day before
                the
                MMT. I had two bottles of plain water, but they did not do the trick.

                This morning, I had some honey-do errands to run and did not do my
                training run until 11:30. I went 9 miles and then from 1PM to 5PM, I
                washed and waxed vehicles (of course there is a big thunderstorm out
                side right now and my roof is leaking, but that's another story.) So
                I spent four hours after my run out in the hot sun. I drank a lot of
                water and Pepsi. While eating supper, I got a cramp in my hand. The
                salt with the food and plenty more water seems to have taken care of
                it. If I get another cramp, I will certainly pop a tab. (Looks like
                I will be in the sun again tomorrow, on my roof.)

                Have fun with the baby.

                Frank