[vt100] Drop Bags

  • Frank Probst
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
      Bill asked advice about drop bags. Drop bags are about as varied as
      the runners on the trail. The super organized types go all out and buy
      8 or 10 really wild looking zip up athletic bags that will be easily
      identified. They then buy ten sets of everything and put a complete
      set in each bag.

      I simply try to guestimate where in the race I will be when I will need
      something from a drop bag. Items for drop bags include clothing, at
      Vermont you might need a long sleeve shirt or jacket at night and some
      folks might want to have rain gear. Other items are flashlights and
      batteries. I have had two lights go out on a five mile stretch and it
      is tough to change batteries in the dark in the middle of the woods.
      You can easily lose parts of the light. I carry a D cell and two
      backup double A cells. This is overkill unless you have been in the
      woods in the dark of night. You also may want to put special food or
      drink in drop bags that will not be available on the course. Some
      folks change socks or eevn shoes four or five times. I usually do not
      put out any more stuff than I think I will need, so I go light on bags
      and have never changed shoes in the middle of a run. Drop bags depend
      a lot on personal perference. I do not have a crew, so I also carry a
      white garbage bag with my name and number on it and if I have a light
      or clothes that I started with and want to drop, I can. It does make
      sense to have bags that can easily be identified and that you can
      easily find stuff in. You can get pretty goofy in the middle of the
      night. If you have a crew, you may still want to use drop bags for
      places your crew cannot get to or just in case they miss you. I also
      wear the race ready shorts with the slew of pockets and often run with
      a single bottle small fanny pack. Guess I rambled enough for now.

      Frank

      Frank
    • eric ivey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2000
        Frank and others -
        With all the talk of crew/no crew going on now, it has me really thinking
        about what I want to do about it. At first I thought I'd have a friend of
        mine come along just to have the company, but now I'm beginning to feel
        guilty about it. What is your experience with it?

        Eric