Re: [vt100] Reflections on Vermont

  • ed516p@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
      Frank
      Thanks so much for the posting. From a fellow stomach churner, your
      sentiments sure hit home but more importantly your positive thoughts about
      running are appreciated fuel for the fire. See you in Vermont

      Ed Schultze
    • eric ivey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 12:31 PM
        Good post, Frank. I've had similar problems with running in humidity
        lately, so I've tried to beat it by attacking - doing all my runs in the
        heat and humidity of the day. I don't know if it's working though
        because I still feel like crap when I run -it feels like there's just no
        juice in my legs.....maybe I'm hoping to just be used to it. However,
        today I did a 15 mile run on the C&O Canal path, started at noon and
        finished at 2:00. I felt great the whole time, but then again, it
        wasn't that hot or humid (81 degrees, 40% humidity) - I'll hope for the
        same at VT. Michelle tagged along on the mountain bike carrying a
        couple extra bottles of water for me, and we had a good time out there,
        besides the crowded spots. Been trying to do most of my running on hard
        or hard-packed surfaces in preparation for the terrain at VT, but wonder
        if I'm doing more damage than good. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks!
        Today was the last longish run, now I'm left with only sub-7-mile runs.
        Looking forward to seeing/running with you all again.
        Eric

        Frank Probst wrote:

        > This past week has been hot and humid or warm and humid for my daily
        > morning runs. During the hot and humid and warm and humid days, I do
        > not run well. I do not enjoy my runs and begin to question why I am
        > running in the steamy heat (and I run at 6:30 in the morning). Then
        > I wonder why in the world I signed up for VT in mid-July. I have
        > been up there twice and both times it has been mid-80s and humid. I
        > just do not run well in 80s and plain hate 80s and humid. I must be
        > nuts to be going to VT. Summers should be for laying in a pool.
        > Then
        > I think about all the stomach trouble I have in the heat and how bad
        > the water tasted at VT. I am not sure if the water really tasted that
        > bad or if it was just because my stomach was already churning. I
        > think they have a lot of well water and it had a mineral taste. I
        > could still taste the water when it was mixed with drink powder. If
        > I took a crew, I would have them carry lots of good water. I also
        > remembered how the down hills beat my toe nails black and destroyed
        > my quads. I was wasteed after 20 to 25 miles into the course both
        > years I went.
        >
        > This morning, the cool front that the weather people have been
        > predicting for the past three days actually finally passed through
        > and we had a cool and dry morning. I got out there and running was
        > fun again. VT is only two weeks away and we are going to have a
        > great time there. VT has some great scenery and lots of wildlife and
        > domestic animals. VT weather can be great in July. If it is a nice
        > cool day, life will be great. The wonderful crowd on this list will
        > be there. My buddy Jim Garcia will be there and can tell us if the
        > course is short. He and Courtney should keep it interesting up
        > front,
        > but it will be like LHHT. We will only see those guys backs for a
        > brief time after the start. Ann, Chrissy, and Janice, wow. My fellow
        > grand slammer Jay Hodde will be there (we spent a lot of time
        > together on the trails in '97). Newton Baker, who has kicked my butt
        > and won our age group the last two years at Olander, will be there.
        > All us Eastern Steps gang are going to finish. This running is
        > wonderful stuff.
        >
        > It is just amazing what running on a nice cool day does for your body
        > and spirit. Now if I could just get a shoe company to give me shoes,
        > I could join in the how many different shoes I am going wear at VT
        > discussion. As it is, I plan on wearing two shoes, one on the left
        > foot and one on the right foot. That reminds me, I need a new pair.
        > LHHT was not kind to the pair I am running in now. See you all in
        > two weeks.
        >
        > Frank

        > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
        > 1. Fill in the brief application
      • Frank Probst
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1 2:24 PM
          Eric: You are ready. As you pointed out, today was a very unusual
          day for the DC area. C&O is a good place to train, but like my
          daily training run course, it is a bit flat. It was high 60s to high
          70s and low humidity when we did our little training run on the
          Northern section of the Bull Run Trail. (I hope someone does not
          decide that Bull Run reminds them of the Civil War and thus we have
          quite running there to be politically correct.) It was a beautiful
          day. It is only 82 out there now, but that is tough in the direct
          sun. I just sealed my driveway and got a bit warm. One other thing
          about camping at VT, If you get there early, try and pick out a
          protected spot so someone does not come in late at night and run into
          your tent. Two weeks from now we will be well into the VT course.
          Bring it on.