Re: [vt100] Reflections on Vermont

  • thewashman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 1969
      Frank,

      First of all, you are nuts. Why would anybody run in all that humidity. It always bothers me and changes the complexion of my races. I have run all the VT 100's (dropped out of two of them) and normally we get either heat or humidity (last year being the exception) and not both. I vote for heat and not humidity. As they say, "It's not the heat, it's the humility." See you there.

      Talk later,
      Jeff Washburn
    • Raney Maj Johnny R
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
        Frank, well I must say your posting made me grin from ear to ear. Thanks
        for your insight and always making it fun whether on the trail or off. We
        will all do well. Just think that way and let the feet lead you. Look
        forward to seeing you, Eric, Monica and to finally meet Ann Trason. Will be
        a blast. Happy training.

        John
      • ed516p@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
          Frank
          Thanks so much for the posting. From a fellow stomach churner, your
          sentiments sure hit home but more importantly your positive thoughts about
          running are appreciated fuel for the fire. See you in Vermont

          Ed Schultze
        • eric ivey
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
            Good post, Frank. I've had similar problems with running in humidity
            lately, so I've tried to beat it by attacking - doing all my runs in the
            heat and humidity of the day. I don't know if it's working though
            because I still feel like crap when I run -it feels like there's just no
            juice in my legs.....maybe I'm hoping to just be used to it. However,
            today I did a 15 mile run on the C&O Canal path, started at noon and
            finished at 2:00. I felt great the whole time, but then again, it
            wasn't that hot or humid (81 degrees, 40% humidity) - I'll hope for the
            same at VT. Michelle tagged along on the mountain bike carrying a
            couple extra bottles of water for me, and we had a good time out there,
            besides the crowded spots. Been trying to do most of my running on hard
            or hard-packed surfaces in preparation for the terrain at VT, but wonder
            if I'm doing more damage than good. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks!
            Today was the last longish run, now I'm left with only sub-7-mile runs.
            Looking forward to seeing/running with you all again.
            Eric

            Frank Probst wrote:

            > This past week has been hot and humid or warm and humid for my daily
            > morning runs. During the hot and humid and warm and humid days, I do
            > not run well. I do not enjoy my runs and begin to question why I am
            > running in the steamy heat (and I run at 6:30 in the morning). Then
            > I wonder why in the world I signed up for VT in mid-July. I have
            > been up there twice and both times it has been mid-80s and humid. I
            > just do not run well in 80s and plain hate 80s and humid. I must be
            > nuts to be going to VT. Summers should be for laying in a pool.
            > Then
            > I think about all the stomach trouble I have in the heat and how bad
            > the water tasted at VT. I am not sure if the water really tasted that
            > bad or if it was just because my stomach was already churning. I
            > think they have a lot of well water and it had a mineral taste. I
            > could still taste the water when it was mixed with drink powder. If
            > I took a crew, I would have them carry lots of good water. I also
            > remembered how the down hills beat my toe nails black and destroyed
            > my quads. I was wasteed after 20 to 25 miles into the course both
            > years I went.
            >
            > This morning, the cool front that the weather people have been
            > predicting for the past three days actually finally passed through
            > and we had a cool and dry morning. I got out there and running was
            > fun again. VT is only two weeks away and we are going to have a
            > great time there. VT has some great scenery and lots of wildlife and
            > domestic animals. VT weather can be great in July. If it is a nice
            > cool day, life will be great. The wonderful crowd on this list will
            > be there. My buddy Jim Garcia will be there and can tell us if the
            > course is short. He and Courtney should keep it interesting up
            > front,
            > but it will be like LHHT. We will only see those guys backs for a
            > brief time after the start. Ann, Chrissy, and Janice, wow. My fellow
            > grand slammer Jay Hodde will be there (we spent a lot of time
            > together on the trails in '97). Newton Baker, who has kicked my butt
            > and won our age group the last two years at Olander, will be there.
            > All us Eastern Steps gang are going to finish. This running is
            > wonderful stuff.
            >
            > It is just amazing what running on a nice cool day does for your body
            > and spirit. Now if I could just get a shoe company to give me shoes,
            > I could join in the how many different shoes I am going wear at VT
            > discussion. As it is, I plan on wearing two shoes, one on the left
            > foot and one on the right foot. That reminds me, I need a new pair.
            > LHHT was not kind to the pair I am running in now. See you all in
            > two weeks.
            >
            > Frank

            > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
            > 1. Fill in the brief application
          • Frank Probst
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
              Eric: You are ready. As you pointed out, today was a very unusual
              day for the DC area. C&O is a good place to train, but like my
              daily training run course, it is a bit flat. It was high 60s to high
              70s and low humidity when we did our little training run on the
              Northern section of the Bull Run Trail. (I hope someone does not
              decide that Bull Run reminds them of the Civil War and thus we have
              quite running there to be politically correct.) It was a beautiful
              day. It is only 82 out there now, but that is tough in the direct
              sun. I just sealed my driveway and got a bit warm. One other thing
              about camping at VT, If you get there early, try and pick out a
              protected spot so someone does not come in late at night and run into
              your tent. Two weeks from now we will be well into the VT course.
              Bring it on.