Reflections on Vermont

  • Frank Probst
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2000
      This past week has been hot and humid or warm and humid for my daily
      morning runs. During the hot and humid and warm and humid days, I do
      not run well. I do not enjoy my runs and begin to question why I am
      running in the steamy heat (and I run at 6:30 in the morning). Then
      I wonder why in the world I signed up for VT in mid-July. I have
      been up there twice and both times it has been mid-80s and humid. I
      just do not run well in 80s and plain hate 80s and humid. I must be
      nuts to be going to VT. Summers should be for laying in a pool.
      Then
      I think about all the stomach trouble I have in the heat and how bad
      the water tasted at VT. I am not sure if the water really tasted that
      bad or if it was just because my stomach was already churning. I
      think they have a lot of well water and it had a mineral taste. I
      could still taste the water when it was mixed with drink powder. If
      I took a crew, I would have them carry lots of good water. I also
      remembered how the down hills beat my toe nails black and destroyed
      my quads. I was wasteed after 20 to 25 miles into the course both
      years I went.

      This morning, the cool front that the weather people have been
      predicting for the past three days actually finally passed through
      and we had a cool and dry morning. I got out there and running was
      fun again. VT is only two weeks away and we are going to have a
      great time there. VT has some great scenery and lots of wildlife and
      domestic animals. VT weather can be great in July. If it is a nice
      cool day, life will be great. The wonderful crowd on this list will
      be there. My buddy Jim Garcia will be there and can tell us if the
      course is short. He and Courtney should keep it interesting up
      front,
      but it will be like LHHT. We will only see those guys backs for a
      brief time after the start. Ann, Chrissy, and Janice, wow. My fellow
      grand slammer Jay Hodde will be there (we spent a lot of time
      together on the trails in '97). Newton Baker, who has kicked my butt
      and won our age group the last two years at Olander, will be there.
      All us Eastern Steps gang are going to finish. This running is
      wonderful stuff.

      It is just amazing what running on a nice cool day does for your body
      and spirit. Now if I could just get a shoe company to give me shoes,
      I could join in the how many different shoes I am going wear at VT
      discussion. As it is, I plan on wearing two shoes, one on the left
      foot and one on the right foot. That reminds me, I need a new pair.
      LHHT was not kind to the pair I am running in now. See you all in
      two weeks.

      Frank