56RE: [vt100] Vermont

  • Pero, Stephen M
    Jun 15, 2000
      Hi Ed...

      Don't listen to Jeff...;-) Go out easy at Vermont...if I try to put money in
      the bank at an ultra, then I die a vicious death later on, so I'm going out
      easy.

      In 98 at the first aid station, I think I wasn't even in the first 100, then
      at the half I was in 42nd and I finished in 23rd..and I ran the 9th best
      paced race. So I think that even paced running is the best way to go and is
      what I am going to do this year, unlike last year when I was too big for my
      britches and decided to "go for it"...and crashed and burned on the side of
      the trail at mile 35...dropping at 42.

      The start is on a rough ATV road for a couple of miles and one is best to
      take it easy on that as You can turn an ankle in the confusion of the crowd.
      Your going by runners and they're going by You...take it easy until the
      first hill, which I think comes at about 2 3/4 miles, where You can then
      walk for the first time...then just ease into a nice pace that will feel
      easy for the rest of the day.

      Boost is just another form of Ensure.

      Instead of Advil, I take Tylenol...1 every 2 hours after 50 miles to ease
      the quad pain...Any Nsaids like Advil, aspirin, etc can mess with Your
      kidneys...just ask Deb.

      For quad strength, I do first of all hill repeats. The downhills get the
      quads and is the best specificity training You can do. A couple of times a
      week I do single leg squats, maybe 3 sets of 20...then straight leg raises
      (3x20)...then lunges (3x20) and then after a bit of rest 100 double legged
      squats, all without weights. Along with this I do a bit of upper body stuff,
      pushups, situps, bicep curls and tricep dips. I do more weights in the
      weight room off season and just settle with the easier stuff now until maybe
      January, where I'll return to the gym.

      My guess about Vermont comparisons is that it is nothing like MMT, some
      parts are close to Laurel but it is more closer to Old Dominion, but OD
      seems to be harder for some reason...it's probably due to Sherman's Gap,
      Veach Gap and Woodstock Tower all coming in the last 20 miles...

      seeya soon,
      Steve

      PS: Tomorrow night I may be doing a night (9pm to approx 2am), full moon
      training run up and back down Mount Washington in NH with Sue Johnston ...
      Fun, Fun, Fun!