42Re: [vt100] vermont

  • eric ivey
    Jun 13, 2000
      Hi Ed,
      Good post. I actually didn't start the list, but I might have been the
      first one to join (under my old e-mail address 'ecivey@erols'). There
      are some great runners on this list, like Frank Probst that can offer a
      wealth of information on all topics relating to ultra-running. I've
      only been doing ultras for about 8 months now but have had the pleasure
      of running most of my race miles with Frank and he has taught me a ton!
      I know a couple of things about over-hydration but it really varies on a
      case by case basis. The biggest problem with drinking too much is the
      risk of hyponatremia (basically you flush all the electrolytes out of
      your system, which means you can't retain water in your muscles. In
      extreme cases, you can actually drown or flood your brain). I also use
      Succeed Clip but as there are no electrolytes in it, it's really
      important to make sure you take in enough salt and potassium (I use
      Succeed Caps). It's different for everyone though. I took salt tabs
      about every 45 mins on saturday and had no problems with nausea, but
      then, I was moving fairly slowly compared to what I'm used to. Frank,
      on the other hand, is what I'd consider a minimalist. He doesn't eat
      much, and as far as I know, he doesn't take salt tablets (correct me if
      I'm wrong, Frank!), yet he always runs very strong.
      I'm sure you already know all this stuff, but just in case, I thought
      I'd pass on what I know...

      Good luck with your training!
      Eric