[vsx-dis] UCAC3 identifier format.

  • Brian D. Warner
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
      Sebastian,

      Just to tell submitters that the official format for the recently released UCAC3 catalog (see
      http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/Dic-Simbad)
      is:
      3UCAC FFF-NNNNNN instead of UCAC2 NNNNNNNN as in the UCAC2 catalog.

      It will surely be a source of confusion.
      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

      This seems to contradict what is in the UCAC3 README file:

      Official UCAC3 star ID numbers should be utilized for identification purposes and for communication with the UCAC team. The main
      identifier is the running star number in the CCD mean position data (MPOS number) which is provided on the UCAC3 individual star
      records as the last 4-byte integer item. This number spans the range of 3 to 140051297 but includes gaps for stars which did not
      make it into the release. MPOS numbers over 140 million identify high proper motion stars, which have been handled differently in
      the pipeline and were merged at a later stage into the release.

      Alternatively, a unique running star ID number without any gaps can be generated on the fly, counting stars along zones from south
      to north and along RA within each zone, similarly to what was recommended for UCAC2.

      ID = n0 + running star number in zone z

      where z is zone number where the star in question is located (1 to 360; zone 1: -90 to -89.5 decl., ...), n0 is the largest star ID
      number of the previous zone and ID is this official UCAC3 star ID number. A table is provided listing some statistics of zones,
      which include this n0 number.

      If needed, this 9-digit star ID number should be given in connection with the IAU sanctioned acronym of this project and this data
      release number, such as "3UCAC100200300". The star ID number runs from 000000001 to 100766420. Leading zeros are to be used to fill
      9 digits in the star name.

      I find no reference in the README to the 3UCAC NNN-XXXXXXX format. I may have just
      missed it.

      Note also that the largest number given on the SIMBAD page (N=100765502) does not
      agree with the largest number given in the README (N = 100766420).

      You're right: it truly is a source of confusion.

      Clear Skies
      Brian D. Warner
      Palmer Divide Observatory
      http://www.MinorPlanetObserver.com

      Collaborative Asteroid Lightcurve Link
      http://www.MinorPlanetObserver.com/astlc/default.htm
    • Wolfgang Renz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
        Hello

        Bill J Gray of projectpluto.com writes at: http://www.projectpluto.com/new.htm
        for his most recent Guide8 "in-testing" update:

        UCAC-3 numbering modified: UCAC-3 has rapidly passed from its original designation scheme to an alternative, and a new, final scheme has been settled upon.
        Originally, UCAC-3 stars all had numbers ranging from 1 to slightly over 100 million, giving each star a sequential number with no gaps. Then VizieR chose the MPOS number, which runs from 1 to slightly over 140 million, with many gaps. The final decision, made by USNO, was that a UCAC-3 identifier consists of '3UC' followed by a three-digit zone identifier running from 1 to 360, a dash, and six digits. Thus, '3UC314-159265' would be the 159265th star in zone 314.
        Guide will now show the correct identifier for all UCAC-3 stars, both when shown from the original data files and from VizieR downloads.
        Also, if you have the UCAC-3 data on your hard drive, you can use Go To... Object name and enter (for example) "3UC314-159265", and Guide will find the relevant star.
        Also, the 'more info' section is more informative, with some UCAC-3 specific glossary definitions.
        <<<

        Clear skies
         Wolfgang

        --
        Wolfgang Renz, Karlsruhe, Germany
      • Sebasti├ín Otero
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
          Brian,

          > If needed, this 9-digit star ID number should be given in connection with
          > the IAU sanctioned acronym of this project and this data
          > release number, such as "3UCAC100200300". The star ID number runs from
          > 000000001 to 100766420. Leading zeros are to be used to fill
          > 9 digits in the star name.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

          > I find no reference in the README to the 3UCAC NNN-XXXXXXX format. I may
          > have just
          > missed it.
          >
          > Note also that the largest number given on the SIMBAD page (N=100765502)
          > does not
          > agree with the largest number given in the README (N = 100766420).
          >
          > You're right: it truly is a source of confusion.

          Well, the acronym seems to be 3UCAC. The format seems to be different
          though, but I would follow what's stated in the SIMBAD dictionary of
          nomenclature.

          Wolfgang,

          > Bill J Gray of projectpluto.com writes at:
          > http://www.projectpluto.com/new.htm
          > for his most recent Guide8 "in-testing" update:

          >>> UCAC-3 numbering modified: UCAC-3 has rapidly passed from its original
          >>> designation scheme to an alternative, and a new, final scheme has been
          >>> settled upon.
          Originally, UCAC-3 stars all had numbers ranging from 1 to slightly over 100
          million, giving each star a sequential number with no gaps. Then VizieR
          chose the MPOS number, which runs from 1 to slightly over 140 million, with
          many gaps. The final decision, made by USNO, was that a UCAC-3 identifier
          consists of '3UC' followed by a three-digit zone identifier running from 1
          to 360, a dash, and six digits. Thus, '3UC314-159265' would be the 159265th
          star in zone 314.
          Guide will now show the correct identifier for all UCAC-3 stars, both when
          shown from the original data files and from VizieR downloads.
          Also, if you have the UCAC-3 data on your hard drive, you can use Go To...
          Object name and enter (for example) "3UC314-159265", and Guide will find the
          relevant star.
          Also, the 'more info' section is more informative, with some UCAC-3 specific
          glossary definitions. <<<

          I knew it would be s ource of confussion.
          So we have a lot of names said to be official in their own way.
          I would still use the one given in the Dictionary of Nomenclature but maybe
          someone with more authority can guide us.

          If we are not to trust the Dictionary as a guide, then where should we look
          at??

          Cheers,
          Sebastian.
        • Christopher Watson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
            http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/Dic-Simbad?/10531273

            The Dictionary of Nomeclature is supposed to be the up-to-date
            electronic repository of the acronyms and designation formats approved
            in the Working Group on Astronomical Designations of IAU Commission 5.
            Therefore, the notes

            Write: <<3UCAC FFF-NNNNNN>>

            and

            ***** Avoid the usage of UCAC3, prefer 3UCAC

            would seem to indicate that it is indeed 3UCAC which is the approved
            acronym, and that the entire designation follows the field and star
            number format described in the note from Bill Gray.

            -Christopher