Re: Suggestions for VSX

  • michael.kran
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2008
      For what its worth, I joined vsx-dis just as I was thinking that a
      query based on the observer's location, a filter on the altitude of
      the object, and magnitude would be a nice addition.

      I just ran across what Shawn Dvorak at Rolling Hills Observatory has
      done. As a beginner, it found it ideal for the opportunist search.
      The "What's up?...now that I have good weather..search."

      http://www.rollinghillsobs.org/perl/calcRRephem.pl
      http://www.rollinghillsobs.org:8000/perl/calcEBephem.pl

      My apologizes if VSX already has this feature. I didn't see it, though
      I've only just joined AAVSO today.

      Michael

      --- In vsx-dis@yahoogroups.com, arne <arne@...> wrote:

      > martin_piers_nicholson wrote:
      > > VSX encourages people like me to observe previously neglected
      > > variables. It would be useful if, in effect, all VSX entries were
      > > automatically in the AAVSO validation file so that results submitted
      > > could be seen graphically. I appreciate that it is possible to get
      > > stars added to the file on request but automatic inclusion might
      offer
      > > some advantages.
      > >
      > That feature is coming soon.
      > Arne

    • Christopher Watson
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
        No, Michael...VSX does not have that feature. Sounds like a good
        idea, at first blush, although I don't think we ever envisioned VSX as
        being an observation planning tool, per se. At least not in the
        context of a particular observer's geo-location. Paul Rodman's
        AstroPlanner does a REALLY good job of that, but of course can't take
        advantage of the entire VSX dataset...yet. I have been talking with
        Paul about engineering some VSX query capability into AstroPlanner so
        that it can bring up real-time VSX variables for a given sky view.
        Maybe we can make that happen. Paul's typically very accommodating
        about that kind of thing.

        VSX does have basic magnitude filtering, though.

        Christopher Watson
        AAVSO VSX

        On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 11:53 PM, michael.kran <michael.kran@...> wrote:
        > For what its worth, I joined vsx-dis just as I was thinking that a
        > query based on the observer's location, a filter on the altitude of
        > the object, and magnitude would be a nice addition.
        > My apologizes if VSX already has this feature. I didn't see it, though
        > I've only just joined AAVSO today.
      • Michael Kran
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
          Hello Christopher,

          Thank you for your reply. I have AstroPlanner, but I had not
          thought of it in terms of variable stars, even a sub-set of VSX.
          That would be a great solution!

          Michael

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
            I believe Paul has AstroPlanner catalogs for the GCVS and NSV (plus
            supplement), so a good amount of bona-fide and suspected variables for
            use in the program right there. Of course, Paul can't keep these
            catalogs in lock-step with the relentless advancements in the
            refinement of their data, so that's why it would be a great idea for
            AstroPlanner to be able to query VSX in the background for ALL
            variables known to us within a given field of view. His program would
            then be able to show, for example, that a new nova-like object that
            just popped off last night (and got submitted to VSX a few hours ago)
            culminates at 0230 that night.

            We'll see what we can do.

            -Christopher