Re: [vsx-dis] VSX and data publication

  • arne
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2007
      James Bedient wrote:
      > There has been a lot of discussion about how to disseminate the
      > results placed in VSX, and this seemed to me to be seen as important
      > to the viability of VSX.
      >
      > Has there been any progress on this front? Any plans in the works?
      >
      > I'd like to make my own suggestion, and that's an electronic
      > Supplement to JAAVSO. Establish it as a web-only HTML publication,
      > not open to submissions other than new variables, improved positions,
      > types, periods, etc. via VSX. Publish it once a quarter, have it
      > fully indexed in SIMBAD and ADS, with everyone who submits accepted
      > information as co-authors. I'm starting to think that this may be the
      > only way to keep VSX viable as the master database we all think it
      > should be.
      >
      > Another issue is that we need to get VSX IDs into SIMBAD.

      We are working on it, really. Unfortunately, at the current time most
      everything falls into one person's lap, and until we solve that problem,
      things must wait. This is an internal situation that does not need
      public airing, and we're just making slower headway that I'd like.

      The same goes for VSX publication. Remember that, right at the *very*
      beginning of the new star submission wizard, we specifically state that
      submitting new stars does not consitute publication, nor should you assume
      that any supporting datafiles will be archived. Even so, my goals are to have
      lists published in JAAVSO, and to get cross-linking with Simbad, by
      mid-summer so that we have a full year of visibility before the IAU 2009
      meeting. I think there will be some interesting variable star
      proposals at that meeting, and want the AAVSO and VSX to be properly
      positioned. Everything else relating to this is politics, and I'm
      not going to say more on a public discussion group.
      Arne
    • martin_piers_nicholson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2008
        Has there been any progress on publishing the new discoveries entered
        into VSX? James last raised the subject back in December and I don't
        recall reading any update since then.

        --- In vsx-dis@yahoogroups.com, arne <arne@...> wrote:

        > James Bedient wrote:
        > > There has been a lot of discussion about how to disseminate the
        > > results placed in VSX, and this seemed to me to be seen as
        important
        > > to the viability of VSX.
        > >
        > > Has there been any progress on this front? Any plans in the
        works?

        > > I'd like to make my own suggestion, and that's an electronic
        > > Supplement to JAAVSO. Establish it as a web-only HTML
        publication,
        > > not open to submissions other than new variables, improved
        positions,
        > > types, periods, etc. via VSX. Publish it once a quarter, have it
        > > fully indexed in SIMBAD and ADS, with everyone who submits
        accepted
        > > information as co-authors. I'm starting to think that this may
        be the
        > > only way to keep VSX viable as the master database we all think it
        > > should be.
        > >
        > > Another issue is that we need to get VSX IDs into SIMBAD.
        > >
        > We are working on it, really. Unfortunately, at the current time
        most
        > everything falls into one person's lap, and until we solve that
        problem,
        > things must wait. This is an internal situation that does not need
        > public airing, and we're just making slower headway that I'd like.
        >
        > The same goes for VSX publication. Remember that, right at the
        *very*
        > beginning of the new star submission wizard, we specifically state
        that
        > submitting new stars does not consitute publication, nor should you
        assume
        > that any supporting datafiles will be archived. Even so, my goals
        are to have
        > lists published in JAAVSO, and to get cross-linking with Simbad, by
        > mid-summer so that we have a full year of visibility before the IAU
        2009
        > meeting. I think there will be some interesting variable star
        > proposals at that meeting, and want the AAVSO and VSX to be properly
        > positioned. Everything else relating to this is politics, and I'm
        > not going to say more on a public discussion group.
        > Arne

      • interferom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
          There's nothing to stop you submitting them for publication to oejv,
          pzp or ibvs, which if successful would mean they would get into some
          bibliographic hyper-indices anyway

          --- In vsx-dis@yahoogroups.com, "martin_piers_nicholson"