Re: [vsx-dis] MKTypes.dat

  • James Bedient
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2007
      When Skiff's MKTypes.dat file info was input to VSX, some of the
      positions, which were used to override the existing positions, were
      put in incorrectly.

      Example:

      VSX J084716.7-471324

      Position I gave: 08 47 16.77 -47 13 24.6
      Position in Skiff's file: 08 47 16.77 -47 13 24.6
      (No shock, same source, UCAC2)

      Position in VSX, attributed to Skiff: 08 47 16.70 -47 13 24.6

      The ones I've looked at have all had the last decimal place of RA changed to 0.

      OK, it's only 0.07" of RA, but the correct numbers are the correct numbers.

      Jim

      no surprise,
      On 5/29/07, Patrick Wils <patrickwils@...> wrote:
      > You can find an up-to-date versiob of Brian Skiff's file here:
      > <ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/bas/starcats/mktypes.dat> (see details here:
      > <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2004yCat.3233....0S>.)
      > The version used in VSX dates from November 2006. The bibcode used in
      > VSX is the bibcode of the original source publication. In some cases
      > Brian "invented" bibcodes for catalogs at VizieR which are not available
      > through ADS. 1993yCat.3170.....M is such a case, it refers to
      > <http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/Cat?III/170>. See
      > <http://vizier.cfa.harvard.edu/viz-bin/VizieR-5?-out.add=.&-source=III/170/ps_id&recno=2904>
      > for this specific star.
      >
      > Patrick
      >
      > --- James Bedient <jbedient@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Is there an unpublished version of Brian Skiff's MKTypes.dat file
      > > floating around? I was looking at a couple of stars I put in, and
      > > "Admin, VSX" amended them with a spectral type - but when I looked in
      > > the source given in the new reference
      > > (http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/Cat?III/233B) there's nothing
      > > there. Example is VSX J075901.6-395126,
      > > http://www.aavso.org/vsx/index.php?view=detail.top&oid=135934.
      > >
      > > In addition the bibcode given in the reference is out of date,
      > > 1993yCat.3170.....M, should be 2004yCat.3233....0S
      > >
      > > Jim

      > > Jim Bedient
      > > jbedient@...
      > > www.bedient.us
      > >

      > ____________________________________________________________________________________Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.
      > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Jim Bedient
      jbedient@...
      www.bedient.us
    • Christopher Watson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2007
        > When Skiff's MKTypes.dat file info was input to VSX, some of the
        > positions, which were used to override the existing positions, were
        > put in incorrectly.
        >
        > The ones I've looked at have all had the last decimal place of RA changed to 0.

        Looks like you are correct, Jim. These new positions were part of the
        batch imports created by Patrck. I'll check in with him on this.

        Thanks for pointing this out.

        -Chris
      • Patrick Wils
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2007
          Yes, it seems I lost a decimal in RA. I'll correct this.

          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        • Christopher Watson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
            Hello James and all,

            It's been seven months since Patrick so rapidly forwarded to me the
            SQL batch file that would make all of these position corrections. My
            apologies to everyone on letting this slip past me. But the
            corrections have now been imported.

            -Christopher