Re: [vsx-dis] So where are amateurs publishing their material?

  • James Bedient
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2007
      In the case of IBVS I think it's due to the change in editorial policy, not VSX.

      On 5/25/07, skepticalones <skepticalones@...> wrote:
      > --- In vsx-dis@yahoogroups.com, "hannahvarleyfromdublin"
      > <hannahvarleyfromdublin@...> wrote:
      >
      > > VSX has clearly made a VERY substantial contribution to the total
      > > amount of refereed variable star material published and whatever
      > > supporting infrastructure that is put in place needs to reflect this.
      >
      > Expand on this, with specific examples illustrating the point.
      >
      > I am aware of no evidence to support this statement, specifically
      > within the context of published refereed variable star material either
      > accrediting VSX or having VSX appelations. You make this statement of
      > fact yet provide no evidence, especially contradictory as you had just
      > previously reported that next to nothing was being published in
      > several of the usual venues for such material.
      >
      > John
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Jim Bedient
      jbedient@...
      www.bedient.us
    • Michael Koppelman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2007
        The JAAVSO has been more active, it seems to me, as well:

        http://www.aavso.org/publications/ejaavso/index.shtml

        As a personal aside, I will never again submit a paper to the IBVS. I
        think they suck ass. I have several papers in the works that will go
        either to JAAVSO or PASP.

        M.

        On May 25, 2007, at 3:18 PM, James Bedient wrote:

        > In the case of IBVS I think it's due to the change in editorial
        > policy, not VSX.
      • Sebastian Otero
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2007
          > http://www.aavso.org/publications/ejaavso/index.shtml
          >
          > As a personal aside, I will never again submit a paper to the IBVS. I
          > think they suck ass. I have several papers in the works that will go
          > either to JAAVSO or PASP.

          It is hard to understand why they ask for things of astrophysical interest
          only and they ban data-mining results and however they publish photometric
          sequences for novae and times of minima for anything.

          Cheers,
          Sebastian.