vsx and var tra 07

  • duble.stars
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12 3:22 AM
      On the more nichified, closet ghetto level, away from the generalities
      of it all, the eclipsing binary Var TrA 07 can be considered in the
      specific aavsoian vsx context.

      Now, it could be warranted that VSX should not have the arrogance to
      arbitrarily give its own naming to such an object as it was discovered
      by independent others who have not reported it to VSX.

      It will be identified, should SIMBAD linkage occur, as "Suspect
      Variable EQ J162050.18-602339.5" or "V* Jetc", or possibly using an
      USNO B1.0 identity, should the object have such.

      It's AAVSO that's called it Var TrA 07.

      It's also AAVSO that's given it the dead and modern IAU nomenclature
      disobeying "harvard designation".

      So, in that context, there's no reason why can't AAVSO give it a VSX
      identifier and use that identifier in all its own dealings with the
      object, for it is themselves emplacing the other names upon it, rather
      than them inheriting those names.

      Charity begins at home. AAVSO simply doesn't take VSX seriously.

      John
    • James Bedient
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12 5:47 AM
        I'm confused. In VSX it's VSX J162050.1-602339.

        Observers in AAVSO will input data using the Harvard designation or
        VAR TRA 07, for reasons of how the database is set up, I think. And
        what's wrong with that? It's what will happen until the database is
        reworked to allow names greater then 8 characters, or whatever the
        specific number is.

        Gotta call it something,

        And VSX J162050.1-602339 is one of its names. Makes you happy, call it that.

        On 3/12/07, duble.stars <duble.stars@...> wrote:

        > On the more nichified, closet ghetto level, away from the generalities
        > of it all, the eclipsing binary Var TrA 07 can be considered in the
        > specific aavsoian vsx context.
        >
        > Now, it could be warranted that VSX should not have the arrogance to
        > arbitrarily give its own naming to such an object as it was discovered
        > by independent others who have not reported it to VSX.
        >
        > It will be identified, should SIMBAD linkage occur, as "Suspect
        > Variable EQ J162050.18-602339.5" or "V* Jetc", or possibly using an
        > USNO B1.0 identity, should the object have such.
        >
        > It's AAVSO that's called it Var TrA 07.
        >
        > It's also AAVSO that's given it the dead and modern IAU nomenclature
        > disobeying "harvard designation".
        >
        > So, in that context, there's no reason why can't AAVSO give it a VSX
        > identifier and use that identifier in all its own dealings with the
        > object, for it is themselves emplacing the other names upon it, rather
        > than them inheriting those names.
        >
        > Charity begins at home. AAVSO simply doesn't take VSX seriously.
        >
        > John
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Jim Bedient
        jbedient@...