Session persistence

  • Michael Koppelman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2006
      I'd like to suggest that VSX logins from a single computer virtually never expire. If that is not
      ideal for everyone, if it was an option I could check to remember me forever, that would be
      great.

      Thanks!
      Michael
    • skygxproject
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2006
        Hi Michael,

        What kind of time spans are we talking about here? Are you letting
        your login sit idle for more than 30 minutes? Because that's the
        time-out we have set for inactivity. Are you getting a session time-
        out more rapidly than that?

        Wait... It looks like you're attempting some revisions (NSV 10892,
        NSVS 13150765, ASAS 200112+0758.9), and I'm seeing some "lock
        resets" coming through, which is what the system does to clear stale
        lock states on revision sessions that are no longer sending a
        heartbeat through the system. When you revise an object, the record
        is locked (obviously, so no one else can get in there and revise the
        same record right on top of you), and VSX opens a small secondary
        pop-up window in your browser which instantiates a recurring
        JavaScript timeout object that sends a "heartbeat" HTTP GET into the
        system, which updates the "ping" time on the record. As long as the
        age of the ping is less than 90 seconds, the cron job which runs
        every two minutes at the server ignores the lock. If it's older
        than that -- which typically means the user revising the star has
        navigated away from the Revision Submission form without clicking
        the Cancel or Submit buttons (maybe by clicking the browser's Back
        button, or closing the window) -- the lock is reset, making
        available for revision again. Is that where you're experiencing the
        problem?

        -Chris
      • Michael Koppelman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2006
          I'm not having a problem, I just hate logging in again, say,
          tomorrow. Once I log in, I want to be logged in forever. I.E. set the
          cookie to expire in 100 years. I don't mind if you time out session
          data, like the page I was working on or stuff like that. I just don't
          want to have to log in. I want it to "remember me" forever.

          Just a personal preference.

          Thanks!
          Michael

          On May 12, 2006, at 9:54 PM, skygxproject wrote:

          > Hi Michael,
          >
          > What kind of time spans are we talking about here? Are you letting
          > your login sit idle for more than 30 minutes? Because that's the
          > time-out we have set for inactivity. Are you getting a session time-
          > out more rapidly than that?
          >
          > Wait... It looks like you're attempting some revisions (NSV 10892,
          > NSVS 13150765, ASAS 200112+0758.9), and I'm seeing some "lock
          > resets" coming through, which is what the system does to clear stale
          > lock states on revision sessions that are no longer sending a
          > heartbeat through the system. When you revise an object, the record
          > is locked (obviously, so no one else can get in there and revise the
          > same record right on top of you), and VSX opens a small secondary
          > pop-up window in your browser which instantiates a recurring
          > JavaScript timeout object that sends a "heartbeat" HTTP GET into the
          > system, which updates the "ping" time on the record. As long as the
          > age of the ping is less than 90 seconds, the cron job which runs
          > every two minutes at the server ignores the lock. If it's older
          > than that -- which typically means the user revising the star has
          > navigated away from the Revision Submission form without clicking
          > the Cancel or Submit buttons (maybe by clicking the browser's Back
          > button, or closing the window) -- the lock is reset, making
          > available for revision again. Is that where you're experiencing the
          > problem?
          >
          > -Chris

          > ~-->
          > Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/d_XolB/TM

        • skygxproject
          Message 4 of 4 , May 12, 2006
            Ah, OK. Understood. Yes, I wanted to get a "Keep me signed in on
            this computer unless I sign out" function into the login, but wasn't
            able to before launch. Please put that very important feature request
            in as a bug at Bugilla, and I'll make sure it happens as soon as I can
            get to it.

            -Chris