Re: [vsx-dis] ASAS data displayed in VSX

  • Michael Sallman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2006
      Chris,

      If you use a default period of 0.0 days for the stars with unknown
      period, that will produce a "blank" phase plot next to the normal light
      lightcurve.

      Mike

      Christopher Watson wrote:
      > Well, it's that just special. Right when I want to check this out to
      > see what I could do about it, the ASAS site goes down. Bah!
      >
      > I'll look at this when the site is back up, because I gotta see what
      > it's like to create a "bogus" link-out to ASAS-3 just to force a phase
      > plot. Without actually seeing it happen with my own eyes, my first
      > impression might be that it would make VSX look kinda stoopid. But,
      > we'll see how it goes.
      >
      > Thanks for the suggestion, Tom!
      >
      > -Chris
      >
      > On 7/12/06, Tom Krajci <tom_krajci@...> wrote:
      >
      >>Question about ASAS data that you can 'link-out' to: For stars like BQ Eri,
      >>that have a published period...when you link out to the ASAS data...the data
      >>is also phase plotted and you can easily try different periods.
      >>
      >>But for stars like DY Cet, that don't (yet) have a published period...the
      >>link out to ASAS data does not have a phase plot window.
      >>
      >>Can this be changed so that even for stars with unpublished periods a phase
      >>plot window (with some default period, such as 50 days) is provided? (This
      >>can even be done and helpful for stars like X Mus.)
    • Christopher Watson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2006
        > If you use a default period of 0.0 days for the stars with unknown
        > period, that will produce a "blank" phase plot next to the normal light
        > lightcurve.

        Ah. Placing an integral 0 in there inhibits the phase plot from being
        generated, but putting a floating-point 0.0 in there brings up a blank
        phase plot. Well, well, well. I guess that's a lot better than some
        arbitrary non-zero number. At least, that way, when no period is
        available, VSX appears to be sending something more in line with what
        it has...nothing. OK. We'll do that.

        -Christopher