Re: [vsx-dis] CDS link-outs on new VSX J... stars

  • Christopher Watson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      > What about the discoverer sending a SIMBAD object for each discovery?
      > Make that mandatory and you shouldn't do anything but trusting the SIMBAD
      > object given.

      That's an interesting idea, Sebastian. Do you think that there would
      ever be a problem with forcing the submittal of a recognized SIMBAD
      identifier? Technically, these should always be at least a GSC name,
      right?

      I do have the "behind-the-scenes" query code in place to determine a
      recognized identifier from all names submitted, and it's really not as
      invasive or performance-degrading as I thought it would be. Still,
      I'd like to follow up on our idea, Sebastian, and see if maybe that is
      the better way to go.

      Any other opinions/ideas?

      -Chris
    • Patrick Wils
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        There may be problems when the new object isn't in Simbad yet (as often
        happens). In that case a name should be used which might be used by
        Simbad later on (e.g. GSC or USNO numbers).

        Patrick

        http://mail.yahoo.com