420Re: How to note a possible correction to VSX data

  • rcdegraeve
    May 2, 2007
      Just a note on the consistency of the error... I just took a quick
      look at RW CEP and find the same type of mis-direction at least for 2
      of these that the Study ref. points to the Harvard Annals. This one
      also points to Milton Field 27 abstract and it should point to Milton
      Field 9.

      ... hope this is doing some good.

      Rick

      --- In vsx-dis@yahoogroups.com, "rcdegraeve" <rcdegraeve@...> wrote:

      > Hello Chris,
      >
      > I apologize for not including the info in my original post but I
      > wasn't sure it would be okay.
      >
      > Anyway...
      >
      > My interest is mostly an Miras and SRs. Looking into some SRs in
      > Cephus I came across an what may be inaccurate info in VSX for AN
      CEP
      > (haven't had time to look into any more). The "Study ref." in the
      > database notes "C.Payne-Gaposchkin HA 118, N27, 1952." Now, this
      > information as text only is correct as far as it goes (since it
      > doesn't reference the field). The problem seems to be where it
      > points. When following the hot spot, it takes you to the abstract
      for
      > Milton Field 27, which covers stars in Hydra, Leo and Sextans.
      > Digging a little deeper in the Harvard Annals, I found that, though
      > AN CEP is, indeed, in vol 118, No. 27, it is in the abstract for
      > Milton Field 1, not 27. I'm guessing it could be a
      misinterpertation
      > of the "N27".
      >
      > It could be possible that I'm misinterperting what I see but I
      > thought I'd bring it up the the discussion group. I hope this
      doesn't
      > send anyone off on any wild goose chases!
      >
      > Rick De Graeve
      >

      > --- In vsx-dis@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Watson" <skygeex@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Rick,
      > >
      > > To tell you the truth, I'd rather you didn't save the details for
      > > actual submission. Please give me an example of what you're
      talking
      > > about. If this is a systemic problem, I'll want to find a back-
      end
      > > solution to it, rather than relying on user submissions of
      corrected
      > > data. If it's something very localized, then user submissions
      may
      > be
      > > OK. But I'd like to make that decision first. So please show me
      > what
      > > you've got. Thanks!
      > >
      > > Christopher Watson
      > > Principal Architect
      > > VSX
      > >
      > > On 5/2/07, rcdegraeve <rcdegraeve@> wrote:
      > > > I'm wondering about how to submit what I guess amounts to data
      > > > corrections to VSX. Reading through the guidelines, they seem
      > focus
      > > > on submission of a new variable star and what/how to include
      > supporting
      > > > data.
      > > >
      > > > In looking through VSX and some of the reference information
      > cited in
      > > > an entry, I've found a nested inaccuracy in the Study ref. data
      > entry.
      > > > It's probably a just a small detail (and maybe I'm reading it
      > wrong)
      > > > but I know you want the database to be as accurate as
      possible.
      > I'll
      > > > save the details for actual submission, but I'm not too clear
      on
      > how to
      > > > go about this.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your help!