Experiences with VSIP

  • Peter Webb
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2001
      Has anyone had any experience with the Visual Studio Integration Program
      (VSIP)? I'm debating whether to join or not, and would love to hear from
      anyone who is a member.

      I've also got a couple of technical questions about solutions developed
      using the VSIP. In particular:

      * How are they installed? Do they have to go in a specific directory (like
      add-ins did in Visual Studio 6)? If not, how are they registered with
      Visual Studio so it can find them?

      * Is there any kind of license management available for VSIP add-ins? If
      not, how do you protect yourself from having people install the software on
      multiple machines? Or does this not really make sense because Visual Studio
      isn't license-managed?

      Thanks very much.

      Peter Webb mailto:pwebb@...
      The MathWorks http://www.mathworks.com
      508-647-7376 "Math by MATLAB"
    • David Jeschke
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2001
        The integration program came up once before on this newsgroup. At that
        point it did not seem like anyone on the list was in the program. I asked
        Microsoft about the program and found out it was very expensive. Given that
        almost everything I wanted to accomplish could be done through the object
        model I did not pursue it any further. You also are required to sign a
        nondisclosure agreement to join the program so I'm not sure whether anyone
        in the program could answer your questions if they wanted to. Hopefully the
        high price of the program would buy you some excellent technical support
        direct from Microsoft. Good luck!

[...]

        Replies go to the entire list. Visit
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe, search message
        archives, or change delivery options.

      • David Jeschke
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2001
          P.S. If you *do* join the program we would be interested the hear anything
          you *can* tell us about it. Thanks!

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2001
            I'm glad to see there is some interest in VSIP here in the Addins
            newsgroup. Our company Summit Software is the global sales and
            support agent for VSIP so I wanted to make an introductory post and
            also address a couple of points below. For more information feel free
            to write to me personally or better yet, write into
            vsipinfo@....

            Here are some useful URLs for more information:
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/vsip/vsi
            http://vsip.summsoft.com/

            First of all the Microsoft VSIP agreement is _not_ protected under
            NDA. The annual membership fee is $10,000 and the agreement carries a
            five year term which you can terminate with notice after three years.

            VSIP membership carries the following benefits:

            1 - Access to the VSI SDK. This SDK is not available for evaluation
            and is sent to VSIP members only. For details of the contents of the
            SDK and what you can do with it please read this white paper:
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/vsip/vsi/indepth.asp

            2 - Exclusive access to intermediate builds of VS. VSIP members have
            been receiving builds about every six weeks on the average in the run
            up to RTM. Intermediate builds will also be sent to VSIP members
            after RTM however I have no idea what frequency one could expect.

            3 - License to build and distribute (royalty free!) packages that
            load into the address space of Visual Studio. Just check out all the
            cool tools from lifecycle vendors that are going to soon be available
            to enhance the VS experience!
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/vsip/vsi/lifecycle.asp

            4 - Option to resell various SKUs of Visual Studio (VB.NET, VC#,
            VCEA, etc) along with a customers app.

            5 - Participation in the VSIP Partner Program which offers various co-
            marketing benefits including the right for qualifying products to
            display the VS.NET logo.

            You also get the right to redistribute the Visual Studio for
            Applications, or VSA IDE under this same agreement. VSA if you
            haven't heard about it is best described as VBA for .NET. You can
            learn more about VSA and programmability in the .net environment at
            either our website or off of the Microsoft VSIP site quoted above.

            So to conclude Summit Software are in the business of assisting ISVs
            looking to integrate their applications as deeply as possible into
            VS. If you need to support your own project system, are considering
            porting a language or just need to integrate your help please
            consider letting us assist you.

            Thank you and Merry Christmas to you all!
            ==
            Phil Shatz, Regional Manager
            Summit Software (UK) Ltd, Weybridge, Surrey
            Authorised agent for the Microsoft Visual Studio Integration Program
            Tel +44(0)1932 268406