problems running vs.net add-in

  • dave wanta
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
      hi all,
      this is my first attempt at creating a VS.NET add-in. Some of my friends are saying when they install it, either the icon doesn't show up on the Tools menu (even though it is listed on the add-in manager), or the icon shows up, but when they click on it, nothing happens. For other people, it works fine.

      Any idea?

      I've posted the source code at
      http://www.aspnetemail.com/free/zook.aspx

      Thanks,
      Dave

    • Craig Skibo
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
        For the people who do not have the button have them shut down all
        instances of VS, then from a command prompt run the command devenv
        /setup. When they restart it should be fixed.

        Craig
        Available Soon: Inside Visual Studio .NET 2003
        http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6425.asp

        this is my first attempt at creating a VS.NET add-in. Some of my
        friends are saying when they install it, either the icon doesn't show up
        on the Tools menu (even though it is listed on the add-in manager), or
        the icon shows up, but when they click on it, nothing happens. For
        other people, it works fine.

        Any idea?

        I've posted the source code at
        http://www.aspnetemail.com/free/zook.aspx

        Thanks,
        Dave

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244396.2846622.4218523.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        007207:HM/A=1414307/R=0/*https://www.clearcredit.com/registration/defaul
        t.asp?n=b&cpID=c01888p1379&ckID=gen14628>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244396.2846622.4218523.2848452/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1414307/rand=824658800>

        Replies go to the entire list. Visit
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe, search message
        archives, or change delivery options.

      • lapshin_d <lapshin_d@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
          Dave,

          Craig's deadly right - the /setup key is the remedy. But there's
          another trick I used in my add-in's installation - it still requires
          VS .NET to be closed before installation. So enter our friend
          Installer Class!

          Having this class in your add-in's assembly, you may issue the
          devenv.exe /setup command during the installation so after setup
          completes, the IDE will have been already configured.

          Similarly, you may do the same thing upon deinstallation to remove
          your add-in's commands.

          Sincerely,
          Dmitriy Lapshin

          --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Skibo" <craigs@m...> wrote:
          > For the people who do not have the button have them shut down all
          > instances of VS, then from a command prompt run the command devenv
          > /setup. When they restart it should be fixed.
          >
          > Craig
          > Available Soon: Inside Visual Studio .NET 2003
          > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6425.asp

        • Oz Solomon
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
            IMO, that is not good practice. devenv.exe /setup will reset all the
            user's toolbar customizations, so it isn't wise to call on an end-user
            machine.
            Instead, I usually have my addins set their key PreloadAddinState
            registry key to 1 to force the IDE to run the setup on them.

            Cheers,
            -Oz

            _____

            Craig's deadly right - the /setup key is the remedy. But there's
            another trick I used in my add-in's installation - it still requires
            VS .NET to be closed before installation. So enter our friend
            Installer Class!

            Having this class in your add-in's assembly, you may issue the
            devenv.exe /setup command during the installation so after setup
            completes, the IDE will have been already configured.

            Similarly, you may do the same thing upon deinstallation to remove
            your add-in's commands.

            Sincerely,
            Dmitriy Lapshin

            --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Skibo" <craigs@m...> wrote:
            > For the people who do not have the button have them shut down all
            > instances of VS, then from a command prompt run the command devenv
            > /setup. When they restart it should be fixed.
            >
            > Craig
            > Available Soon: Inside Visual Studio .NET 2003
            > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6425.asp

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • dave wanta
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
              where do you do this at?

              I do this in my setup msi, but I'm assuming you again do this in your code? Where at? In the execute method? Also, what is the exact key you are setting to 1? For instance I'm setting:
              HKEY_CURRENT_USER >> Software >> Microsoft >> VisualStudio >> 7.0 >> PreloadAddinState
              DWORD: Zook.Connect
              Value 1

              (in my msi)

              Thanks,
              Dave

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
                I write my addins in C++ so I have the luxury of using ATL's .reg files. I have them set up so when you register the .dll it sets this key in the registry. Although this isn't the way MS wants us to do things nowadays (they want you to use MSI for everything), I've found this to be a much simpler approach which also allows me force the setup whenever I want by just using regsvr32 on my dll. In some cases, I also include a batch file in my distribution which users can run if they 'loose' the toolbar.

                You can check out one of my online articles in http://www.codeproject.com/macro/linecount.asp or download the source code for my upcoming addin Spelly which also has entries for Everett: http://www.wndtabs.com/beta

                Cheers,
                -Oz

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
                  Yes, this is the better way of doing it, resetting the PreloadAddinState
                  (user Add-in) or the CommandPreload (admin Add-in) values within the
                  registry and restarting will fix the problem. However, we tell people to
                  use devenv /setup because not everybody understands the registry and
                  having them make changes like this can cause problems. I know, you are
                  all developers, but I have watched people delete their VS registry keys
                  just trying to make this one simple change.

                  wrote:
                  > For the people who do not have the button have them shut down
                  all
                  > instances of VS, then from a command prompt run the command
                  devenv
                  > /setup. When they restart it should be fixed.
                  >
                  > Craig
                  > Available Soon: Inside Visual Studio .NET 2003
                  > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6425.asp

                  Service

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
                    hmm.. I just had both people run the /setup switch. No go.

                    So I sent them the ReCreateCommands.reg file, that is output by the wizard.

                    I asked them to close down vs, execute the reg, then open vs.
                    No go. The icon is there, but when the click on it nothing happens.

                    I then asked them to execute the reg while vs is open, still no go.

                    Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

                    I have the complete source and everything at

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
                      HI Craig,

                      I fully agree that "devenv /setup" is a simple remedy on a *developer* machine. What I was pointing out was that it is not a good idea to execute this command from an addin installation program as suggested by lapshin_d below.

                      Cheers,
                      -Oz

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
                        You can also do something similar to a .rgs file with a .NET Add-in. The
                        .NET Frameworks has the ComRegisterFunctionAttribute and
                        ComUnregisterFunctionAttribute attributes. When placed upon a public
                        static function that takes a parameter of type System.Type and returns
                        void, during the regasm phase of build (which happens if the register as
                        COM switch is true in the project settings dialog box), then the
                        functions with these attributes will be called. You can then insert any
                        code you want to do registry manipulation, such as resetting the
                        CommandPreload/PreloadAddinState flags.

                        BTW: Cool Add-in! I was thinking of writing something like this as an
                        example, but I guess I don't need to now. I will add it to the list we
                        maintain to send to people who are looking for examples.

                        <craigs@m...> wrote:
                        > For the people who do not have the button have them shut
                        down all
                        > instances of VS, then from a command prompt run the
                        command devenv
                        > /setup. When they restart it should be fixed.
                        >
                        > Craig
                        > Available Soon: Inside Visual Studio .NET 2003
                        > http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6425.asp

                        Terms of

                        Replies go to the entire list. Visit
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe,
                        search message
                        archives, or change delivery options.

                        Service
                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        Replies go to the entire list. Visit
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe, search message
                        archives, or change delivery options.

                        Service.

                        Replies go to the entire list. Visit
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe, search message
                        archives, or change delivery options.

                        Service.

                        Replies go to the entire list. Visit
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe, search message
                        archives, or change delivery options.

                      • jay_ayliff
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 11, 2003
                          I've been having the same problems as Dave Wanta described since
                          upgrading to VS2003: A working Add-in I created with the previous
                          version didn't appear on the tools menu any more. I converted it to
                          the new version of VS, ran the installer, etc. but the menu was
                          bare. Reading this thread I just ran devenv /setup and now the item
                          appears in the Tools menu, but when I click it nothing happens .
                          What else do I have to do to get the thing to work?

                          Jay Ayliff

                          --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "dave wanta" <support@1...> wrote:
                          > hmm.. I just had both people run the /setup switch. No go.
                          >
                          > So I sent them the ReCreateCommands.reg file, that is output by
                          the wizard.

                          > I asked them to close down vs, execute the reg, then open vs.
                          > No go. The icon is there, but when the click on it nothing happens.
                          >
                          > I then asked them to execute the reg while vs is open, still no go.
                          >
                          > Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
                          >
                          > I have the complete source and everything at
                          >
                          > http://www.aspNetEmail.com/free/zook.aspx
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Dave

                          Terms