Inno Setup on Windows Vista 64 bit

  • pjollans
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2007
      Hi,

      this is really a question for Carlos, because I know that he uses Inno
      Setup for his Add-In.

      Do you know what I have to specify in my setup in order to install
      correctly on Vista-64?

      Several users or my Add-In have reported that they get "Class not
      registered" when they use my Add-In on Vista-64. My Add-In installs
      two 32 bit ocx files, and it appears that they are not registered
      correctly.

      As I understand, they should be copied to the SysWOW64 directory and
      registered with the 32 bit version or RegSvr32 which is in that
      directory. However, it looks to me as if Inno Setup should do this
      correctly anyway.

      Sorry, this is not really a Visual Studio question, but I know that
      there are a few others in the group using Inno Setup.

      Best regards
      Phil
    • pjollans
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2007
        Hi,

        I believe that I have now fixed the installation problem with Vista
        64-Bit version.

        The problem is related to how the Add-In is registered. By hand, you
        can register the component with "regasm <file> /codebase". However, my
        installation does not do this, because I don't know any reliable way
        to locate regasm.exe.

        Instead, I install a mini application which uses
        RegistrationServices.RegisterAssembly to register the file (or
        UnregisterAssembly on uninstall) with the flag
        AssemblyRegistrationFlags.SetCodeBase.

        Vista 64-Bit has two versions of the .NET framework for 32 and 64 bit.
        This registration app registers the Add-In for the framework version
        on which it itself is running.

        The problem was, that my registration app ran in the 64 bit version of
        the framework, wheras the Add-In needs to be registered for the 32 bit
        version.

        I was able to fix this, by modifying the advanced compile options for
        the registration program, to specify Target CPU = x86. This causes the
        program to be loaded using the 32 bit version of the framework
        (although the help file doesn't state this clearly).

        Regards
        Phil