Adding custom actions during installation of an addin

  • alexandr
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
      Is it possible? Suppose I want to put some file in one of the folders
      of visual studio, during the installation, and before I do this, I
      need the consent of the user.
    • Quintero Vivar, Carlos Javier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        Yes, it is possible although the method depends on the installer that you
        are using: MSI, InnoSetup, etc.

        InnoSetup is free and it allows you to create your own functions in script
        to be called, so you can make a simple MsgBox to request confirmations. Or
        you can add your own page to the wizard with a checkbox, etc.

        Best regards,

        Carlos J. Quintero

        MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio .NET, VB6, VB5 and VBA
        You can code, design and document much faster in VB.NET, C#, C++ or VJ#
        Free resources for add-in developers:
        http://www.mztools.com <http://www.mztools.com/>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          If you are using setup project in VS, you have two choices:

          1. Use Custom Action which does all the work for you. You must however
          write all code yourself. See
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vbconthecustomactionseditor.asp
          for more details. Don't forget to add also uninstall custom action which
          deletes the file.

          2. This is better method. Add a predefined checkbox dialog to your
          install process by using Custom UI (right click setup project - View -
          User Interface, right-click Start - Add dialog). User will check if he
          want's to install the file. See
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxconcheckboxesuserinterfacedialogbox.asp
          Set Checkbox1Property to e.g. INSTALL_MY_FILE.
          Then add your file in File System section as other files but set its
          Condition property to INSTALL_MY_FILE=1. That's all. The file will be
          only installed if user checks the option.

          --
          Peter Macej
          Helixoft - http://www.vbdocman.com