RE: [vsnetaddin] Re: unregistered add-ins

  • Arild Fines
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
      keenerkrew wrote:
      > --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "Arild Fines" <arild.fines@b...>
      > wrote:
      >> keenerkrew wrote:
      >>> I have been going through the MS book Inside Microsoft Visual
      >>> Studio .NET (version 2003) and have enjoyed all the tips
      >>> it gives. I am new to the .NET environment and to add-ins.
      >>> On page 69 it states:
      >>>

      >>> The Keybindings Table add-in
      >>> Well, I have only VS.NET 2003 on my machine. When I open the KeyMap
      >>> project, it prompts to convert to the current version (I am guessing
      >>> this add-in was written in version 2002). Maybe I'm just dumb, but
      >>> when reading this, I assume that I compile (build) this project and
      >>> presto, it should be registered in my add-ins, but when I go to Add-
      >>> In Manager, everything is empty. Am I missing a step here? Or is the
      >>> book a bit misleading. I went to find errata on the book at mspress,
      >>> but there appears to be no errata.
      >>>
      >>> Any help would be appreciated.
      >>
      >> It seems that the .rgs file for this project was generated for VS.NET
      2002.
      >> Open AddIn.rgs and replace the line where it says "NoRemove 7.0" with
      >> "NoRemove 7.1". Then rebuild the project.
      >
      > This worked great!!!! Thanks.
      > However, I still can't get the Add-In to appear on the Help menu.
      > It does appear in the Add-In Manager. I checked all 3 checkboxes
      > in the Add-In Manager for KeyMay, but it is not there, I restarted
      > the VS, but no good. Then rebooted my workstation, but no good. Am
      > I still missing a setting or something?????

      Try setting
      HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Addins\Keymap.Connect\CommandPreloa
      d to 1 and restarting VS.NET. This will force the addin to recreate it's UI.
      Running "devenv /setup" from the command line will do the same, but for all
      installed addins. /setup might also have an effect on other customizations
      you have made to the IDE(personally I've never really figured out exactly
      what).

      The book describes these registry keys and devenv /setup in some detail.

      --
      Arild

      AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
      Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
      RSS: http://ankhsvn.com/blog/Rss.aspx

      King Crimson lives in different bodies at different times and the
      particular form which the group takes changes. When music appears,
      which only King Crimson can play then, sooner or later, King Crimson
      appears to play the music
    • keenerkrew
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
        wrote:
        > keenerkrew wrote:
        > > --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "Arild Fines"
        <arild.fines@b...>
        > > wrote:

        KeyMap
        Add-

        > >> It seems that the .rgs file for this project was generated for
        VS.NET
        > 2002.
        > >> Open AddIn.rgs and replace the line where it says "NoRemove 7.0"
        with
        > >> "NoRemove 7.1". Then rebuild the project.
        > >
        > > This worked great!!!! Thanks.
        > > However, I still can't get the Add-In to appear on the Help menu.
        > > It does appear in the Add-In Manager. I checked all 3 checkboxes
        > > in the Add-In Manager for KeyMay, but it is not there, I restarted
        > > the VS, but no good. Then rebooted my workstation, but no good.
        Am
        > > I still missing a setting or something?????
        >
        > Try setting
        > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1
        \Addins\Keymap.Connect\CommandPreloa
        > d to 1 and restarting VS.NET. This will force the addin to recreate
        it's UI.
        > Running "devenv /setup" from the command line will do the same,
        but for all
        > installed addins. /setup might also have an effect on other
        customizations
        > you have made to the IDE(personally I've never really figured out
        exactly
        > what).
        >
        > The book describes these registry keys and devenv /setup in some
        detail.

        > --
        > Arild
        >
        > AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
        > Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
        > RSS: http://ankhsvn.com/blog/Rss.aspx
        >
        > King Crimson lives in different bodies at different times and the
        > particular form which the group takes changes. When music appears,
        > which only King Crimson can play then, sooner or later, King Crimson
        > appears to play the music

        All is good on this end for that, but still no change in the IDE or
        Help menu. Question: Does the directory in which my KeyMap library
        sits have any bearing?
      • David Acres
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2003
          Does anybody know how to enable xp styles with a gui addin, I have tried several methods, such as manifest files and setting

          Application.EnableVisualStyles();

          but so far, no luck.

          Thanks,
          Dave.

        • Oz Solomon
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2003
            Since the addin is hosted inside DEVENV, it's not its own application and
            therefore can't have a manifest file. I guess you would have to set the
            manifest on DEVENV. Unfortunately, I'm sure that adding the manifest will
            have unwanted side effects.

            The only way to get just part of the application skinned is to the skin API
            directly, which is a major PITA.

            -Oz
            Does anybody know how to enable xp styles with a gui addin, I have tried
            several methods, such as manifest files and setting

            Application.EnableVisualStyles();

            but so far, no luck.

            Thanks,
            Dave.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Replies go to the entire list. Visit
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vsnetaddin to unsubscribe, search message
            archives, or change delivery options.

          • David Acres

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2003
                Oz Solomon wrote:
                > Since the addin is hosted inside DEVENV, it's not its own application and
                > therefore can't have a manifest file. I guess you would have to set the
                > manifest on DEVENV. Unfortunately, I'm sure that adding the manifest will
                > have unwanted side effects.

                Chris Sells has a .manifest for devenv.exe here:
                http://www.sellsbrothers.com/tools/
                --
                Arild

                AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
                Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
                RSS: http://ankhsvn.com/blog/Rss.aspx

                King Crimson lives in different bodies at different times and the
                particular form which the group takes changes. When music appears,
                which only King Crimson can play then, sooner or later, King Crimson
                appears to play the music
              • toastertech
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 11, 2003
                  --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "keenerkrew" <groi@t...> wrote:

                  > --- In vsnetaddin@yahoogroups.com, "Arild Fines" <arild.fines@b...>
                  >> Try setting
                  >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1
                  >> \Addins\Keymap.Connect\CommandPreload to 1 and restarting VS.NET.
                  >> This will force the addin to recreate it's UI.
                  >> Running "devenv /setup" from the command line will do the same,
                  >> but for all installed addins. /setup might also have an effect
                  >> on other customizations
                  >> you have made to the IDE(personally I've never really figured out
                  >> exactly what).

                  > All is good on this end for that, but still no change in the IDE or
                  > Help menu. Question: Does the directory in which my KeyMap library
                  > sits have any bearing?

                  I just found this group while trying to solve the exact same
                  problem that you described (thanks for asking the questions
                  for me!) and my own experience paralleled yours right up to the
                  last point. Changing the registry key as per Arild's instructions
                  (above) did add the keymap button to the help menu. I registered
                  the dll directly from my oddly named development directory on the
                  E: drive, so I doubt that that's a factor. Try regedit again and
                  see if that's the problem. BTW, the original reg key value was 2.