That Darn Umlaut!

  • pleromatic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      Glidis, O Flens Volapükans!

      I will now switch to English since my Volapük skills are still
      extremely poor.

      I have been stymied by the way to pronounce the letter ä. The ü
      and ö are not too difficult, but there is some confusion with
      the ä. Some references give its pronunciation as "A" in thAt,
      and others as a diphthong like the "long A" in English, as in
      mAke.

      Awright ... which is it?

      Danö,

      --p!
    • Ralph & Betty Midgley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
        There is really not much difference between ä- and e- when speaking Volapük.
        Ä- sounds like 'a' in mAte, and e- like 'e' in gEt. In written Volapük the
        difference is obvious, but in spoken Volapük there is very little difference
        between the two.

        Try saying: Fät enuik mätedon ko het. (Recent destiny competed with
        hatred) and you will prove that there is very little difference between
        them! The real impact is in the printed word.

        Best Wishes to you!

        Ralph.

        I will now switch to English since my Volapük skills are still
        extremely poor.

        I have been stymied by the way to pronounce the letter ä. The ü
        and ö are not too difficult, but there is some confusion with
        the ä. Some references give its pronunciation as "A" in thAt,
        and others as a diphthong like the "long A" in English, as in
        mAke.

        Awright ... which is it?

        Danö,

        --p!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Donald Gasper
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005

          Neither!

          According to Dr. Arie de Jong's "W�rterbuch der Weltsprache" "�" is pronounced as in German "B�r". This sounds roughly like English "bear".

          Pleromatic wrote:

          >I have been stymied by the way to pronounce the letter �. The �
          >and � are not too difficult, but there is some confusion with
          >the �. Some references give its pronunciation as "A" in thAt,
          >and others as a diphthong like the "long A" in English, as in
          >mAke.
          >
          >Awright ... which is it?

        • Ralph & Betty Midgley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2005
            Not a world of difference, though!
            According to Dr. Arie de Jong's "Wörterbuch der Weltsprache" "ä" is pronounced as in German "Bär". This sounds roughly like English "bear".