Re: [volapuk] Pük bevünetik gölikün (fwd)

  • Paul O. Bartlett
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2005
      On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Ralph & Betty Midgley wrote:

      > O flen löfik Paul!
      >
      > Danob oli vemo demü gespik ola. Binos nitedik. Ab jinos obe, sekü
      > nuns, kelis etuvol, das hiel Alexarchus no jenöfo äbinom lautan (ma siäm
      > nomik) püka mekavik.
      > [...]

      I apologize for responding in English, but my Volapük is not good
      enough yet. I find it a fascinating language, and I did collate some
      of the grammatical forms and put them in the Yahoogroups file section.
      In my own opinion, the disapproval of the language in its history has
      come from Eurocentric bias. When people called for "reforms," what
      they really wanted was something more like what was familiar to them,
      and the rest of the world go hang. This has been an issue for various
      auxiliary languages developed by europhones. Suppose I have reason to
      learn Mongolian. Nearly *every* word will be unfamiliar to me, but I
      will have to learn them. Similarly with the supposed lack of
      "internationality" in the Volapük vocabulary. The critics simply
      wanted it to be easier to themselves. Reformitis has been the bane of
      constructed auxiliary languages. Once a language has had some usage on
      a "shakedown cruise," so to speak, I can see one reform, such as Arie
      de Jong's. Otherwise, it is time for the reforming to end and the
      using to begin. When I have the opportunity (I am a little rushed
      today), I will sit down and read Ralph's message properly in Volapük,
      and maybe I can frame a proper reply.

      Regards,
      Paul Bartlett