Re: [volapuk] Two USA postal cards in Volap ük language

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2013
      (I am sending this message directly to Mr. Abreu, as well.)

      The texts of the two postcards can be translated as follows:

      [ONE CENT CARD]

      May 9th, 1889

      Dear Sir!

      It would please me to correspond in Volapük with you (either postcard or letter), if you should wish it.

      I have studied Volapük for one year and love this study very much.

      I recently got the "Correspondent's Diploma" from the French Volapük Society of Paris, in France, which pleased me very much -- I have few correspondents, and desire others.

      Awaiting a reply, I remain,
      your most devoted servant,
      Geo. C. Creelman

      [TWO CENT CARD]

      Cambridge, Mass., United States

      August 12, 1889.

      My dear friend --

      I have just now received your letter containing the postal order. It has grieved me very much to know the consequence of my exportation and I regret it more than I can express to you. I desire that you tell me immediately by postcard whether you have yet received that hat-pin, and how much it cost.

      I had never hoped for such a consequence and it surprises me nearly so much as it saddens me.

      I will write you in a few days, certainly during this week.

      My lady-friend is presently on vacation.

      Your most devoted servant,
      Frédéric.

      *****

      The second card is particularly intriguing. I wonder what story lies behind it.

      Thanks for sharing these! Old Volapük postcards like these are an interest of mine; you can see my own collection at:

      http://home.earthlink.net/~erilaz/potakad.html

      Ko glids gudikün,
      Arden
    • Ralph Midgley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2013
        caracojc@...  will be able to help.

        On 02/10/2013 01:56, Ken Caviness wrote:
        Forwarded message follows, if anyone here can help with a translation from (original) Volapük, contact Antonio Abreu directly, or post the translation to the group here for general interest sake.

        Valikosi gudikün,

        Ken

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2013
          Jean-Claude CARACO is an expert on old Volapük. I am sure he will be
          able to help. (caracojc@...)