Dominikeän/Dominkeänik

  • andremalafaya
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi all.

      I found another probable mistake in the translation of de Jong's dictionary:

      peset (Spanish currency) = peseta; pesetazim = centimo; pesod = peso; peso Cilänik, Dominikeänik, Filipuänik, Kubeänik, Largäntänik, Luruguyänik, Mäxikänik, Paragvänik = peso of Chile, Dominican Republic, Philippines, Cuba, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexiko, Paraguay; pesodazim = cent Mäxikänik; centavo Cilänik, Dominikeänik, Filipuänik, Kubeänik, Largäntänik, Paragvänik; centesimo Luruguyänik.

      According to the sources I've checked, Dominikeänik would be Dominican of Dominica (island), and not of Dominican Republic.

      By the way, is there an official Volapük name for Dominican Republic?
      I've found "Repüblikän Dominiganik" in Vükiped. [ http://vo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rep%C3%BCblik%C3%A4n_Dominiganik ]

      Glidis,
      André
    • Hermann
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
        Thanks for being so watchful.

        Alas, we do not know what Arie de Jong meant with Dominikeän = Dominica. Indeed, the island of Dominica is not identical with the Dominican Republic.

        On the other hand, this island of Dominica was a French and later a British colony and independent member state of the British Commonwealth and NEVER had the Peso as its currency. Nowadays they have the East Caribbean dollar (XCD)

        So we have to suspect that Arie de Jong got it wrong in the first place, and that this error was corrected in the English rendering of the "pesod" entry without also correcting the "Dominikeän" entry.

        "Dominigan" is a monk belonging to the Dominican Order. I do not know of any reference to the "Dominican Republic" being "Repüblikän Dominiganik". The Vüküped entry does not give any source, and I do not think that Volapük would allow such a degree of ambiguity. The monks of the Dominican Republic don't have a republic, and the inhabitants of the Dominican Republic are not "Dominigans", naturally. So you should not trust the Vükiped entry in this case.

        Further, I am currently examining the dictionary Volapük-English very carefully and, alas, there are very many items that require revision. So far, I have completed the letters M through R, and I am currently working on the very complicated letter "L" -- complicated, because of the large number of words using the prefixes "le", "len", "lu" and "lü" which often are difficult to render precisely in English due to the fine nuances expressed by them and not having an obvious counterpart in English.

        At the moment I do not have a good and proper name for the "Dominican Republic". Because of the problems related with "Dominikeän" and "Dominigans" I suggest to use:
        el 'República Dominicana' ...
        as this is it's proper name and can, therefore, be used as a "foreign word".

        Flenöfiko,
        Hermann

        --- In volapuk@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya" <malafaya@...> wrote:

        > Hi all.
        >
        > I found another probable mistake in the translation of de Jong's dictionary:
        >
        > peset (Spanish currency) = peseta; pesetazim = centimo; pesod = peso; peso Cilänik, Dominikeänik, Filipuänik, Kubeänik, Largäntänik, Luruguyänik, Mäxikänik, Paragvänik = peso of Chile, Dominican Republic, Philippines, Cuba, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexiko, Paraguay; pesodazim = cent Mäxikänik; centavo Cilänik, Dominikeänik, Filipuänik, Kubeänik, Largäntänik, Paragvänik; centesimo Luruguyänik.
        >
        > According to the sources I've checked, Dominikeänik would be Dominican of Dominica (island), and not of Dominican Republic.
        >
        > By the way, is there an official Volapük name for Dominican Republic?
        > I've found "Repüblikän Dominiganik" in Vükiped. [ http://vo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rep%C3%BCblik%C3%A4n_Dominiganik ]
        >
        > Glidis,
        > André

      • Donald Gasper
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
          Pesos de la República Dominicana.

          http://www.google.com/search?q=dominican+peso&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CkoeUcqHCrDUmAXL-IHgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=579

> [...]
          >
          > Flenöfiko,
          > Hermann
          >

          > --- In volapuk@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya" <malafaya@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all.
          > >
          > > I found another probable mistake in the translation of de Jong's dictionary:
          > >
          > > peset (Spanish currency) = peseta; pesetazim = centimo; pesod = peso; peso Cilänik, Dominikeänik, Filipuänik, Kubeänik, Largäntänik, Luruguyänik, Mäxikänik, Paragvänik = peso of Chile, Dominican Republic, Philippines, Cuba, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexiko, Paraguay; pesodazim = cent Mäxikänik; centavo Cilänik, Dominikeänik, Filipuänik, Kubeänik, Largäntänik, Paragvänik; centesimo Luruguyänik.
          > >
          > > According to the sources I've checked, Dominikeänik would be Dominican of Dominica (island), and not of Dominican Republic.
          > >
          > > By the way, is there an official Volapük name for Dominican Republic?

        • Hermann
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
            Sure, but "Dominikeän = Dominica" (Vödabuk Volapüka by Arie de Jong), and "Dominica" is NOT the República Dominicana!
            ---------