Re: [volapuk] Jazz, pop, and rock

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2012

      On Apr 7, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

      De Jong gave us "cäsd" for 'jazz', evidently based on German, which has two pronunciations (according to the Wikipedia, [dʒæz] and [jats].

      [jats] is the older of the two and (as I understand it) is generally used nowadays to refer to traditional Dixieland jazz, whereas [dʒæz] is used for modern jazz.

      I always read Arden's "Volapop" as having "pop" as 'popular', as in pop-music.

      That was my intent, though I've always seen it as a Volapük-English hybrid.  As I wrote on my introductory page: 'Tiäd "Volapop!" binon mig binü pükanem "Volapük" ed el "pop", kel binon vöd Linglänapükik ko sinif "pöpedik" (in el "pop culture", el "pop music" e ret).'  I considered "Volapöp!" as an alternative, but that wouldn't have worked, since that would simply mean 'people of the world'. So instead I chose the option that would in pure Volapük mean 'poppy-seed of the world', which isn't entirely inappropriate, since pop culture could be regarded as an opiate of the masses!

      Arden R. Smith  erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.

      --Elvish proverb