Father Schleyer's account of how he got the idea

  • Hermann Philipps
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
      Glidis valikanes,

      Esedob traduti linglänik koneda kio Datuval ägetom tikamagoti ad datuvön Vo=
      lapüki.

      This is to indicate that I have uploaded an English translation of the Datu=
      val's own account of how he got the idea to invent his World Language.

      Have fun!

      Hermann Philipps
    • Christy
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
        Glidis Hermann
        I enjoyed reading the Datuval's account. It seemed like he was
        whining a bit about his lot in life, but then who can blame him with
        such a sad life. I'm sure modern priests don't do half as much as he
        had to do in a day, but who knows, priests aren't very favored in
        the press nowadays and what a mess everything is in, but that's a
        different story. Did he really know that many languages fluently?
        Thanks for posting it, I had to look all over for where you'd
        uploaded them to, I didn't know if it was your personal webpages or
        the links page for the group or where I finally found it in the
        files page. But I found it and enjoyed it. I also saw that the big
        dictionary file was in the same section so I downloaded that as well.
        Had fun!
        Christy

        --- In volapuk@y..., "Hermann Philipps" <hphilipps@d...> wrote:

        > Glidis valikanes,
        >
        > Esedob traduti linglänik koneda kio Datuval ägetom tikamagoti ad
        datuvön Vo=
        > lapüki.
        >
        > This is to indicate that I have uploaded an English translation of
        the Datu=
        > val's own account of how he got the idea to invent his World
        Language.

        > Have fun!
        >
        > Hermann Philipps
      • Hermann Philipps
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
          Greetings, oh Christy,

          Thank you for your heart-warming comment on Father Schleyer's account.
          Yes, a hard life it was for everybody in the 19th century.
          Studying a language and mastering it fluently are two very different things=
          .
          His Volapük and German must have been quite good, though. He has written bo=
          oklets on various matters in various languages such as German, Volapük and L=
          atin but also brief Volapük grammars in a vast array of languages including =
          most of the common European languages but also rarities such as Turkish, Lat=
          vian, Basque (a very strange language spoken in the north of Spain and the s=
          outh of France), Namaqa (a Hottentot language of South Africa). Especially h=
          e loved what he called "Catholic poetry", and so he wrote: "Pearls of the He=
          avenly Crown of Mary, 50 Sonets" or "Pure Spirit! 100 Content-Rich Aphorisms=
          in Briefest Form". But he also was a practical man, writing booklets such a=
          s "Three Dozen Remedies Against the Cough".

          As there were no computers, cars, tv etc., those days will still have been =
          rather quiet with lots of time to spare. If you are able to understand some =
          German, I recommend you read his critique of Esperanto which is availably in=
          the Files area. This gives even more insight into our datuvals frame of min=
          d.

          Regards, Hermann

          Glidis o Christy,

          Danö mödiko tefü küpet ladi-vamüköl olik dö nunod ela <Schleyer>.
          Si, lif äbinon fikulik valikanes ün tumyel 19id.
          Studön püki e skilädiko mastükön dö püki binons dins tel vemo difiks.
          Fümo mastükam omik volapüka e deutänapüka äbinon gudik. Äpenom bukilis mödi=
          k dö yegäds valasotik geböl püks samo deutänapük, volapük, e latin, ab i äpe=
          nom gramatis volapüka in bundan pükas ninädöl pluamanumi pükas yuropik, ab i=
          seledodis samo türkänik, latviy, bask, ed el <Namaqa>. Patiko älöfom ati, k=
          eli änemom "poedavi katulik", e kludo äpenom: "Pärlats sülakrona ela <Maria>=
          , 50 poedots" u "Te tikäl! Tum pükeds' siämafulik in fom blefikün" (volapüko=
          rigik). Ab id äbinon man plagälik ko bukils samo "Medins kilna balsetel ta =
          kögi" (atos i binon volapük rigik!)

          Bi no dabinons nunians, toods, televid e ret, dels et ba äbinons ze stiliks=
          , ko timi mödik ad dunön dinis. If sevol boso deutänapüki, komandob, das rei=
          dol krüto omik dö Sperantapük, keli binon gebidik in ragidatop. Aton igo giv=
          on pluami nülogama ini ladälod Datuvala obsik.

          Glidis, Hermann