3064Re: [volapuk] Arctic/Antarctica

  • Michael Everson
    Oct 31, 2013
      I’m travelling and do not have access to my dictionaries.

      Ralph gives “Gladean” (ice-ocean < glad ‘ice') for ‘Arctic or Antarctic ocean’

      There is no Arctic continent; only an Antarctic one. Arctic < Greek αρκτος ‘bear’ so one could have “Berop” for Antarctica. But there are no bears there.

      It is the polar continent, so it could be “Povop”. But there are two poles.

      It is the southern continent, so it could be “Sulüdop”. The South pole is “Sulüdapov”. The Southern Ocean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ocean could be “Sulüdean”.

      The Arctic ocean could be “Nolüdean"

      Thus I recommend for addition to the vocabulary Nolüdean, Sulüdean, and Sulüdop.