1675Re: Pronunciation of Vowels

  • Hermann Philipps
    Mar 2, 2009
      Not "ä" but "a" is pronounced as you describe.

      As I wrote, the Volapük "ä" is as in "bat" or "bad" (or as in French
      "père") while the Volapük "a" is as in "father" (long) or similar to
      "but", "nut", "luck" (short), respectively.

      The German "ä" never is as in "mate" or "fate". It always is as in
      "fat" or "bad". Volapük basically being a very German language, the
      pronunciation of the "ä" and "ö" should be as in German.

      Glidis,
      Hermann

      --- In volapuk@yahoogroups.com, Donald Gasper <don_gasper@...> wrote:

      > Not "�" but "a" is pronounced as you describe.
      >
      > By the way, some of us do SPEAK it.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic