Fwd: Spring Programs from Arlington County Nature Centers

  • Mary Ann Lawler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2012

      Plants

      Education and Community Service
      The Trees and History of Fort C.F. Smith Park
      Saturday, Mar. 3, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
      Ages 10 - Adult. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Fort C.F. Smith was one of the last Union forts built to protect Washington during the Civil War. Today it is the home of the largest tree in Arlington County as well as other state and county champion trees. We'll learn about the park’s history and nature during this walking tour of the park. Dress for the weather, terrain will be uneven and possibly muddy. Meet at Meet at Fort C.F. Smith 2411 N. 24
      th St., Arlington, 22207.

      Free. Program #632752-A

      Nature Lover's Book Club: March
      Adults. Every month we read and discuss a book or essay about the natural world. This month we'll enjoy. Join us every fourth Thursday for a fun conversation. You'll also enjoy a little extra experience inspired by the book each time – an object to examine hands-on or an animal to meet. For more information: 703-228-3403. Meet at Gulf Branch Nature Center, 3608 Military Rd, Arlington, VA 22207.
      Free. Call to register.

      Thursday, Mar. 22, 7:30 - 8:30 PM

      Thursday, Apr. 26, 7:30 - 8:30 PM
      Thursday, May. 24, 7:30 - 8:30 PM

      Spring Plant Sale
      Saturday, Apr. 21, 1:00 - 3:00 PM
      Adults. Join us for our highly anticipated native plant sale! The vast majority of our plants are propagated on site. There will be a variety of spring and summer bloomers along with ferns, vines and shrubs. Cardboard boxes will be provided for transporting your new purchases. Rain date: Sunday, April 17, 1-3pm. Payment can be made by cash or check (sorry, no credit cards). Plant advice is free, fee per plant as marked. Information: 703-228-6535. Meet at Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S. Carlin Springs Rd., Arlington, VA 22204.
      Fee per plant as marked.

      Trillium Trek
      Saturday, May 5, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
      Adults. Travel to Linden, VA to see one of the largest (millions!) Great White Trillium displays in the world! This area is resplendent with many (often rare) wildflowers and trees, including native orchids and a variety of wildlife to observe. On the somewhat rocky two-mile trail we’ll discuss plant folklore, natural history, identification and ethnobotany. Before we head home, we’ll stop to purchase local country crafts and apple products. Dress for hiking; bring water and a bag lunch to eat on the trail. $25 fee due upon registration. Van leaves from Lubber Run Center parking lot, 300 N Park Dr., Arlington, VA 22203 or will pick up from Ballston Metro Station with advance request: 703-228-6535.
      $30 fee due upon registration. Program #632942-E

      Community Service

      Second Sundays - Remove Invasive Plants!
      Adults, families and teens. Keep the park free of destructive invasive plants. Work parties are held every month and are making a real difference. We are starting to see the return of wildflowers in areas once covered in ivy. Join us! Maybe you'll want to adopt an area of your own! No registration required. Free. Information: 703-228-3403. Meet at Gulf Branch Nature Center, 3608 Military Rd, Arlington, VA 22207.
      Free
      Sunday, Mar. 11, 2:00 - 5:00 PM
      Sunday, Apr. 8, 2:00 - 5:00 PM

      Sunday, May. 13, 2:00 - 5:00 PM

      Third Sundays - Remove Invasive Plants!
      Ages: 9-Adult. Not all plants are good for the environment. Kids and adults will learn what these trouble-some beasts look like and can help rescue the park from these alien invaders! No registration required. Free. Information: 703-228-6535. Meet at Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S. Carlin Springs Rd, Arlington, VA 22204.
      Free

      Sunday, Mar. 18, 2:00 - 5:00 PM
      Sunday, Apr. 15, 2:00 - 5:00 PM
      Sunday, May. 20, 2:00 - 5:00 PM

      Statewide Invasive Plant Removal Day

      Saturday, May. 5, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
      Families. The Virginia Master Naturalists invite organizations and community groups to plan volunteer events for the fourth annual statewide Invasive Plant Removal Day. You can host an event or join events hosted by others in your neighborhood to help rescue our Virginia natural areas and open spaces from invasive plants. Local Arlington events will be hosted by Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment, Arlington County's Remove Invasive Plants Volunteer Program, and other. For more information and details, visit www.virginiamasternaturalist.org/invasives.
      Free

      KIDS & FAMILIES

      Green Living Expo
      Saturday, Mar. 17, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
      Families. Come join us for the Green Living Expo featuring green suppliers, products from local and national businesses, exhibits and seminars from government agencies and nonprofits, and more! Help us educate residents about practical ways they can green their lifestyles, focusing on energy conservation, solid waste reduction, eco-friendly transportation, green home remodeling, sustainable landscaping, and healthy homes. The Expo will also include seminars, a raffle, and activities for children. It will provide an important venue to showcase new technology and products available that can help soften our carbon footprints in Arlington. More information: www.arlingtonenvironment.org/expo or 703-228-6427.
      Free.

      Early Spring Woody Plant ID aka This Bud's for You
      Sunday, Mar. 25, 2:00 - 3:30 PM
      Ages 8 - Adult. Join a Master Naturalist for a walk in the woods focused on improving your plant identification skills, looking at trees and woody shrubs whose buds are nearly ready to break with spring. We will also observe early emerging herbaceous perennials, and discuss wildlife/plant dependencies, invasive exotics, and desirable species for planting in our own gardens. For more information: 703-228-3403. Meet at Gulf Branch Nature Center, 3608 Military Road, Arlington, VA 22207.
      $5 fee due upon registration. Program #632842-H

      Who Dwells in Seashells?
      Sunday, Apr. 15, 1:30 - 2:30 PM
      Families ages 7 and up. A registered adult must accompany child. Learn about shells and the animals that live in them. We'll talk about these freshwater, saltwater and land dwelling invertebrates and have some shells on hand to investigate. Get to know their names and then make your own Atlantic seashell identification guide. Information: 703-228-6535.Meet at Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S Carlin Springs Rd. Arlington 22204.
      $5 fee due upon registration.
      Program #632852-M

      Turtle Trot 5k
      Saturday, May. 19, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
      Families. Join us at the South Bluemont Park Shelter for The Inaugural Turtle Trot 5k supporting Long Branch Nature Center and local wildlife. Registration begins at 9:00 AM; race starts at 10:00 AM. The 5k course is certified by USA Track and Field and is chip timed. Be sure to also catch some “REAL” turtle races afterwards! Awards will be given for places. Funds raised will go to support local turtles by paying for the veterinary services for injured turtles, medications, animal care, and educational programming. For information: 703-228-6535.
      $30 fee for adults and teens, $15 fee for children
      Register with Active.com

      "Let's Go Camping!"
      Sunday, 5/27/2012 4:30 PM - Monday, 5/28/2012 9:30 AM
      Families with children ages 6 and up. Register adults and children; children must be accompanied by a registered adult. Your family is invited to join us at the Gulf Branch fire ring for this gentle introduction to camping out that's one step up from the backyard, but still close enough to home if a vital teddy-bear's been forgotten. We'll make camp, then have time for lazing about, or playing in the creek. After a delicious dinner cooked over the campfire, enjoy the embers with song and story (and of course, s'mores). The next morning we'll cook breakfast before breaking camp. B.Y.O.T. (tent) if you have one. If not, we have some loaners available for a small fee. Information: 703-228-3403. $80 fee per family payable at registration. Meet at Gulf Branch Nature Center, 3608 Military Rd., Arlington, VA 22207.613651-26
      $80 fee per family payable upon registration
      Program #632852-G

      Searching for Spring
      Saturday, Mar. 3, 2:00 - 3:00 PM
      Children 5 and up. A chill may linger but spring is on the way! We'll look listen smell and feel for signs of the oncoming season at this scavenger hunt/hike. For more information: 703-228-3403. Meet at Gulf Branch Nature Center, 3608 Military Road, Arlington, VA 22207.
      $5 fee due upon registration.
      Program #632822-M

      Bone Tales
      Saturday, Mar. 31, 3:00 - 5:00 PM
      Children 8-11. Backbones, ribs and skulls! Oh my! Unravel the mysteries of bones and join the BSI --Bone Scene Investigation! What stories do bones tell about the animals who once owned them? Discover the differences between vertebrates and invertebrates and find out which group you belong to. Learn about the five classes of vertebrates who make Virginia their home. Come read the clues and unearth the secrets of BONES! Information: 703-228-6535. Meet at Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S Carlin Springs Rd. Arlington 22204.

      $3 fee due upon registration. Program #632922-C

      Egg-cellent Adventures
      Sunday, Apr. 1, 1:30 - 2:30 PM
      Children 6 - 11. Spring is in full swing! The birds are singing and laying eggs, but they aren't the only ones. Meet some other critters that lay eggs, too! For more information: 703-228-3403. Meet at Gulf Branch Nature Center, 3608 Military Road, Arlington, VA 22207
      $5 fee due upon registration. Program #632822-J

      Notable Nature
      Saturday, Apr. 21, 3:00 - 4:00 PM
      Children 5 and up. Register child only, however must be accompanied by an adult. Join us at Long Branch for a lesson in nature journaling. We'll begin by constructing our own nature journal, then head out to reconnect and record nature's wonders. Register children only, but parents welcome to attend. Information: 703-228-6535. Free. Meet at Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S Carlin Springs Rd. Arlington 22204.
      Free. Program #632922-E

      See, Hear, Sketch: Cottontail Tales
      Sunday, Apr. 22, 11:00 AM - 12:15 PM
      Children 5-8. Register child only. The cottontail rabbit can be found all over Arlington, and spring is an especially active time for rabbit mothers and babies. We gather at the nature center to hear some Cottontail tales, observe the nature center's Cottontail cousin, and learn how to draw a rabbit, too!For more information: 703-228-6535. Meet at Meet at Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S Carlin Springs Rd