DVD, A Sacred Duty, now available at Veggie Center

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2007
      [Pick up your free copy of the new DVD, A Sacred Duty, at the Veggie
      Center of NYC (off of Union Square Park). Call 212-242-0011 to
      arrange your visit. Description of this ground-breaking presentation
      follows. - Pamela R.]

      by Richard H. Schwartz

      Because the world is heading rapidly toward an unprecedented
      catastrophe from global warming and other environmental threats,
      Jewish Vegetarians of North America (JVNA) has produced a
      WORLD, to address these threats from a positive Jewish perspective.
      JVNA will send a free copy to anyone who will help arrange a
      screening or help promote the movie in some other way.

      Almost daily there are reports of severe droughts, floods, storms or
      wildfires, of the melting of glaciers and polar icecaps and other
      indicators of global warming. It is frightening that, while these
      effects are due to an increase in temperature of less than 1.5
      degrees Fahrenheit in the past 100 years, the Nobel Prize-winning
      Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group composed of
      hundreds of the world's climate scientists, is projecting an increase
      of 3 to 11 degrees Fahrenheit in the next 100 years. Even more
      ominous is that some climate scientists, including James Hansen of
      NASA, are warning that global warming may reach a tipping point and
      spiral out of control within a decade, with disastrous consequences,
      unless major changes are soon made. Israel is especially vulnerable
      to global climate change, in terms of reduced rainfall, severe storms
      and flooding from a rising Mediterranean Sea.

      A SACRED DUTY is a Jewish response to these realities. It reminds us
      that it is our sacred duty to become aware of current threats and our
      responsibility to apply Jewish teachings to how we obtain our food,
      use natural resources, and live among other creatures whom God
      created. It offers simple, practical measures for reducing our impact
      on the planet, including "an inconvenient truth" that even Al Gore
      has not yet acknowledged.

      Produced by the highly acclaimed, multi-award-winning film maker,
      Lionel Friedberg, A SACRED DUTY reinforces the messages in Al Gore's
      about the dangers of global warming. However, it goes beyond these
      films, by showing how religious responses can make a major difference
      and why a shift toward plant-based diets is an essential part of
      efforts to reduce global climate change and other environmental
      threats. It also challenges people to consider the many moral issues
      related to our diets, including Torah teachings on how animals are
      treated on factory farms and the effects on human health and the

      The documentary features interviews with leading Israeli and American
      environmental, health, vegetarian and animal rights activists as well
      Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist and secular leaders.
      Interviewees include: Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, Ashkenazic Chief
      Rabbi of Haifa; Rabbi David Rosen, Former Chief Rabbi of Ireland and
      International Director of Interreligious Affairs of the American
      Jewish Committee; Dr. Yeshayahu Bar-Or, Chief Scientist: Israel
      Environmental Ministry and many other rabbis and Jewish leaders and

      Biblical passages are read by the acclaimed Jewish star of Broadway
      and screen Theodore Bikel

      Although it is primarily intended for a Jewish audience, A SACRED
      DUTY speaks to people everywhere about the ethics of our relationship
      to the natural world in which we live. The movie's universal message
      will appeal to anyone interested in such topics as biblical
      teachings, Israel, the environment, health, nutrition, vegetarianism,
      hunger and resource usage. The movie may be said to be like Levy's
      Jewish Rye bread - you do not have to be Jewish to appreciate it.

      A SACRED DUTY and the many activities being planned around it have
      the potential to help move our imperiled world toward a sustainable
      path. But only if the movie is widely viewed and discussed.

      So, please order your FREE copy and please consider taking one or
      more of the following actions after viewing the movie: have viewings
      for family, neighbors and friends; try to schedule showings at a
      local school, a synagogue and/or other houses of worship, a community
      center or other communal site, etc.; share the DVD with local rabbis
      and other religious leaders, teachers, politicians and other local
      influential people.

      You can request a free DVD by sending your name and mailing address
      to JVNA's secretary/treasurer John Diamond (jdiamond4@...). If
      you feel that you can profitably use more than one DVD, just let John
      know, with a brief description of how you plan to use them.

      JVNA plans to build a major campaign around the movie to get tikkun
      olam (the repair and healing of the world) to become a central focus
      in Jewish life today, with a shift toward plant-based diets as an
      essential part of the changes that can help move our imperiled planet
      to a sustainable path. If you would like to be involved in the
      campaign or have suggestions, please contact Richard Schwartz at