Global warming on the table; give Barbara Boxer a piece of your veggie mind

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2007
      Global warming on the table; give Barbara Boxer a piece of your veggie mind

      Go to:
      http://ga4.org/pacforachange/gw_agenda_pub.html?member_key=s7757e9p6dt86d&

      I sent the following message in the area where citizens are
      encouraged to state their views. I centered on the connection between
      livestock and climate change.

      my tract

      A major cause of global warming, we've recently learned, is
      livestock. We need to mount an education campaign about it. People
      need to understand that the world's livestock emit more greenhouse
      gases than the world's transport vehicles, as per the FOA/UN, see
      document: "Livestock's Long Shadow," a 400-page report (Nov. 2006).
      Methane and Nitrous Oxide, the gasses primarily emitted by livestock,
      are sent into the atmosphere in smaller amounts than CO2, but both
      are much more potent. Scientists say that conquering these two
      anthropogenic gases, by reducing the amount of livestock, we can make
      faster inroads in the fight against climate change -- faster than if
      we just concentrated on vehicles emissions alone. There are many
      other reasons besides climate change that people would be better off
      eating lower on the food chain.

      tract ends

      Following is some background information on the new development in
      government since the November elections. Boxer is committed to acting
      on climate issues. So, we need to educate her.

      AP news story follows.
      --------

      Nov. 09, 2006

      Boxer pledges shift on global warming policy with new Senate role

      SAMANTHA YOUNG
      Associated Press

      SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sen. Barbara Boxer on Thursday promised major
      policy shifts on global warming, air quality and toxic-waste cleanup
      as she prepares to head the U.S. Senate's environmental committee.

      "Time is running out, and we need to move forward on this," Boxer
      said of global warming during a conference call with reporters. "The
      states are beginning to take steps, and we need to take steps as
      well."

      Boxer's elevation to chairwoman of the Senate Environmental Public
      Works Committee comes as the Democrats return to power in the Senate.
      It also marks a dramatic shift in ideology for the panel.

      The California Democrat is one of the Senate's most liberal members
      and replaces one of the most conservative senators, Republican James
      Inhofe of Oklahoma. Inhofe had blocked bills seeking to cut the
      greenhouse gases contributing to global warming, calling the issue
      "the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people."

      FULL STORY:
      http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/15973523.htm