Skip to search.

November 4, 2002 ||||| VivaVegie news, events, alerts

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4 10:54 AM
      VivaVegie Web site:
      http://www.vivavegie.org

      **************************

      TABLE OF CONTENTS
      In this issue of VivaVegie's E-mail newsletter:

      - Tues., Dec. 10: CANDLE CAFE / All-day FUNDRAISER for the
      VivaVegie Society
      - VivaVegie needs a people to be Penelo Pea Pod at our Candle
      Cafe fundraiser
      - Awsome 6-part series in Dayton Daily News on factory
      farming
      - Two lists to be on
      - Thank you VivaVegie distributors. We love ya!
      - Who wants to do a write-up on the city's CSAs, food
      co-ops, and veg groups?
      - VegOut event coming up
      - Earthsave Web sites for veg events

      (Our Yahoo! Groups list began only recently on Nov. 2.)

      The general home page for this list is at:

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Candle Cafe presents
      Viva La Vegie
      a benefit for the VivaVegie Society

      Dine at the Candle Cafe on Tuesday, December 10, 2002,
      from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
      [20 percent of the day's receipts to be donated to the
      VivaVegie Society]

      Too busy to attend?
      Have your dinner delivered from Candle Cafe on December 10
      ... or buy a gift certificate on that date; enjoy it later or
      surprise a friend.

      Candle Cafe: 1307 Third Avenue
      at 75th Street, in Manhattan
      (Voted "Best Vegetarian Restaurant in NYC" by TimeOut New
      York (2001) and New York Magazine)

      Reserve to avoid disappointment: 212-472-0970.
      http://www.vivavegie.org
      http://www.candlecafe.com

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      VivaVegie is still lacking people to wear the Penelo Pea Pod
      costume at our Candle Cafe fundraiser (see above). Here's
      your chance to strut your big veggie-lovin' stuff and for a
      good cause too. If you're not familiar with our lean green
      veg-evangelistic pea machine, go to our home page:
      http://www.vivavegie.org . Scroll down about half-way to
      view. Best if you're thin and over 6 feet tall.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      The Dayton (Ohio) Daily News is in the middle of a 6-part
      series on factory farming. It's a must-read for any
      veg-evangelist worth his/her salt.

      Read it, make a bookmark to read postings over the next 3
      days, and pass the word to anyone you can think of. Do not
      hesitate another moment. Go right now to:
      http://www.activedayton.com/ddn/project/farm/

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Two must-be-on lists for information about vegetarian events
      in New York City:

      Topica, VegNYC:
      http://www.topica.com/lists/VegNYC

      and

      Celia Harary's list.
      E-mail her at:
      mailto:Celiaveg@...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Thank you to the following generous people who helped
      distribute our latest issue of The VivaVine.

      Thank you to:

      Rob Dolecki, Seth Asher, Kate Garrison, Celia Harary,
      Cortney Rhoads, Rochelle Goldman, Alan Rice, Glen Boisseau
      Becker, and James Langergaard

      We could not have done it without you!

      We're now looking for a person to convert our Quark file to
      html. If you have any clue what we mean by this, and you
      want to volunteer your time to VivaVegie, give us a call:
      646-424-9595.

      Go to: http://www.vivavegie.org/vvi/vva/vvi49/index.html
      to download the pdf file for the magazine, or go to a
      vegetarian restaurant or health-food store in town for
      a hard copy.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Who wants to put together a couple of reports/listings that
      would be oh-so helpful to the people on this list?

      1) a report on the food co-ops and CSAs in the city
      2) a definative listing of vegetarian groups in the New York
      City metropolitan area

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      VegOut event, upcoming:

      This Saturday, December 7th at 1:00 p.m., Jeanne will be
      hosting a VegOuting at Ayurveda Cafe on the Upper West
      Side. The restaurant is located at 706 Amsterdam Avenue,
      between 94th and 95th Streets in Manhattan. The closest
      trains are the 1, 2, 3 or 9 to 96th Street and Broadway.
      Ayurveda Cafe serves a set meal of Indian vegetarian food,
      with vegan options available.

      If you plan to attend this VegOuting, please be sure to
      RSVP by email or phone (212-802-8655) by Thursday,
      December 5th.

      VegOut: The social group for lesbian, gay, bi and transgender
      vegetarians and friends.

      P.O. Box 286360
      Yorkville Station
      NYC 10128-0006
      (212) 802-8655
      vegout1@...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Local Earthsave chapters have regular vegetarian-friendly
      events:

      Earthsave NYC
      http://nyc.earthsave.org/

      Earthsave Hudson Valley
      http://hudson.earthsave.org/

      Earthsave Long Island
      http://li.earthsave.org/

      This E-mail newsletter is a service of the VivaVegie Society,
      an all-volunteer-run nonprofit, 501(c)3, educational
      organization. http://www.vivavegie.org

      To make a tax-deductible contribution to the VivaVegie
      Society, go to:
      http://www.vivavegie.org/vvs/vvsneeds/form990.html