Call to action: End Chickens as Kaporos

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2012
      *End Chickens as Kaporos*

      *Rally* http://www.endchickensaskaporos.com/120831demos_brooklyn_sept.html

      *Fundraiser*: http://www.endchickensaskaporos.com/caravan/

      Please Join our End-Chickens-As-Kaporos Demos
      in Brooklyn on September 23rd and 24th

      *Sanctuaries and Other Animal Groups & Individuals: Please Bring Banners
      (and Yourselves & Your Friends) to Our Two Brooklyn Demos*

      *See Demo Details to End Chickens as Kaporos Below. Please Let the
      Chickens Know We are There for Them. *

      The Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos was started in 2010 to protest
      the use of chickens in the ritual of kaporos or kapparot, which is a
      custom practiced by some orthodox Jews right before Yom Kippur. Not
      mandated in the Torah or Talmud, it is estimated that 50,000 chickens
      are used in this ritual in Brooklyn alone, every year. In 2010 and 2011,
      we held demos in Crown Heights, Williamsburg, and Midwood, posted online
      petitions, placed print ads in three publications, including the Jewish
      Press, Jewish Week, and Five Towns Jewish Times, placed animated ads
      that flashed 400,000 times over a week in 30 online Jewish publications
      and purchased a brief spot on a Times Square billboard.

      This year, we are inviting the participation of sanctuaries and other
      animal groups and encouraging them to come with their banners to show
      that we stand together against this cruel and outdated practice. We
      realize it is difficult to attend a demo where animals are going to be
      tortured and killed (it's one of the hardest things most of us have ever
      done), but as hard as it is for us, it is infinitely harder for the
      chickens, and we must be there to speak out for them and show that we care.

      Participating in this campaign also leads to the broader discussion of
      the way chickens are exploited and tortured in our society, and it can
      be a bridge to promoting veganism. When people express horror (which
      most do) over images depicting what kaporos chickens go through, it
      provides an opportunity to point out that the chicken on their plate
      suffered no less.

      Please read A Wing And A Prayer
      <http://upc-online.org/kaparos/a_wing_and_a_prayer.html> for more
      information about the practice. Then please join us in speaking out
      against it.

      Let's let the chickens know we are there for them.

      *What:* Protest the use of chickens in the ritual of kaporos
      *When:* Sunday, September 23^rd 4-6 PM and Monday, September 24^th 6-8 PM
      *Where: * On Eastern Parkway, between Kingston and Albany Avenues,
      diagonally in front of the Brooklyn Jewish Children's Museum (792
      Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11213).
      *Subway:* Take the #3 to Kingston Avenue. Subway exits in front of the
      Museum
      *Bus:* The B44 Bus stops just 2 blocks from the museum on E. Pkwy and
      New York Ave. The B43 stops right in front of the museum on Kingston and
      Eastern Parkway.

      Thank you,
      Rina Deych
      endchickensaskaporos@... <mailto:endchickensaskaporos@...>

      Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos <http://endchickensaskaporos.com/>

      Please Sign Our Petition Urging Money Instead of Chickens in Kaporos
      Rituals <http://www.EndChickensAsKaporos.com/120829petition.html>
      29 August 2012 - www.EndChickensAsKaporos.com

      * The Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos is a project of United Poultry
      Concerns. It is an association of groups and individuals who seek to
      replace the use of chickens in Kaporos rituals with money or other
      non-animal symbols of atonement. The Alliance does not oppose Kaporos
      per se, only the cruel and unnecessary use of chickens. *