Volunteers meeting tonight: Veggie Pride Parade (BONOBOS, 6 pm)

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2011
      RE-POST FREELY AND WIDELY

      WHAT: Big meeting for volunteers: VEGGIE PRIDE PARADE 2011
      WHERE: BONOBOS, 18 E 23rd St. New York, NY 10010
      DATE: WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9, 2011
      TIME: 6 P.M.

      We'll eat, then get to work divvying up the responsibilities. Onward vegan soldiers of peace.

      Other meetings scheduled if you absolutely have to miss this one.
      VISIT THE FOLLOWING LINK: <http://tinyurl.com/45fypv3>http://tinyurl.com/45fypv3 to see other scheduled volunteer meeting dates.

      Always feel free to call the office to sign up to be a volunteer: 212-242-0011

      TASK LIST FOLLOWS:

      WHAT TO DO BEFORE PARADE DAY

      * Publicize parade to your social network (Facebook, Twitter, Meetup, Yahoo, Google, etc., etc.) Go to: <http://www.veggieprideparade.org/dept/plaintext.htm>http://www.veggieprideparade.org/dept/plaintext.htm to find plain text to post everywhere. Everyone can do this.
      * Help our publicity expert by posting parade info to media sites (we'll show you how to do this in one short lesson, even over the phone).
      * Arrange for a food donations (vegan only, of course). Some quick clerical work can yield a lot.
      * Engage in outreach to the local vegan community. Collect menus for expo menu table; post poster; inform vegan businesses of parade.
      * Make phone calls to potential prize donors to costume contest.
      * Help with "invite" mailing to about 75 public officials prior to parade
      * Network with the Meetup groups. Go to vegan Meetup events and work the crowd
      * Contact pro-veg nonprofit groups to ask them to donate veg literature (NAVS, PeTA, PCRM, Mercy for Animals, etc.).
      * Stuff bags full of donated pro-vegan literature.
      * Notify APs Day Book.
      * Distribute promo post cards (post cards currently not yet printed).
      * Engage and nurture potential funding sources.

      WHAT TO DO ON PARADE DAY

      MORNING
      In the morning 9:30 a.m. at Union Square Park area
      * Help carting boxes from our office on Union Square West to expo site (north end of Union Square Park).
      * Label exhibit tables in morning prior to parade; lay down kraft paper on tables.
      * Be a personal assistant to organizer Pamela Rice.

      LINEUP/PARADE
      At line-up and during parade (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
      * Manage the sign boards: pass them out, make sure we get them back.
      * Assist photographers on ladders (we'll have three).
      * Megaphone management: pass them out at parade line-up, and make sure you get them all back later.
      * Leaflet during the parade.
      * Manage the leafleters.
      * Twitter during parade to official parade Twitter site.

      AT POST-PARADE EXPO IN PARK
      After parade as the expo begins (in the north end of Union Square Park at about 1 p.m.)
      * Banner management. Banners need to be properly hoisted on stages, then properly cared for and accounted for after parade.
      * Man a Flip (video camera) with tripod; we'll have four pointed at stages and exhibitor tables.
      * Be a personal assistant to expo manager Alan Rice.
      * Menu table management & oversight. Keep menus neat and tidy throughout the day at the post parade rally & expo. They get picked over awfully fast.
      * Assist sound technician and dj throughout the day.
      * Oversee exhibitor tables: make sure exhibitors are abiding by all Parks Dept. rules and guidelines.
      * Distribute food (food donations) to hungry crowds at post-parade expo.
      * Pass out flyers and programs during the post-parade expo.

      FOR ALL INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARADE, VISIT OUR WEB PAGE
      <http://www.veggieprideparade.org/>http://www.veggieprideparade.org/