Volunteers meeting tonight: Veggie Pride Parade (BONOBOS, 6 pm)
- RE-POST FREELY AND WIDELY
WHAT: Big meeting for volunteers: VEGGIE PRIDE PARADE 2011
WHERE: BONOBOS, 18 E 23rd St. New York, NY 10010
DATE: WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9, 2011
TIME: 6 P.M.
We'll eat, then get to work divvying up the responsibilities. Onward vegan soldiers of peace.
Other meetings scheduled if you absolutely have to miss this one.
VISIT THE FOLLOWING LINK: <http://tinyurl.com/45fypv3>http://tinyurl.com/45fypv3 to see other scheduled volunteer meeting dates.
Always feel free to call the office to sign up to be a volunteer: 212-242-0011
TASK LIST FOLLOWS:
WHAT TO DO BEFORE PARADE DAY
* Publicize parade to your social network (Facebook, Twitter, Meetup, Yahoo, Google, etc., etc.) Go to: <http://www.veggieprideparade.org/dept/plaintext.htm>http://www.veggieprideparade.org/dept/plaintext.htm to find plain text to post everywhere. Everyone can do this.
* Help our publicity expert by posting parade info to media sites (we'll show you how to do this in one short lesson, even over the phone).
* Arrange for a food donations (vegan only, of course). Some quick clerical work can yield a lot.
* Engage in outreach to the local vegan community. Collect menus for expo menu table; post poster; inform vegan businesses of parade.
* Make phone calls to potential prize donors to costume contest.
* Help with "invite" mailing to about 75 public officials prior to parade
* Network with the Meetup groups. Go to vegan Meetup events and work the crowd
* Contact pro-veg nonprofit groups to ask them to donate veg literature (NAVS, PeTA, PCRM, Mercy for Animals, etc.).
* Stuff bags full of donated pro-vegan literature.
* Notify APs Day Book.
* Distribute promo post cards (post cards currently not yet printed).
* Engage and nurture potential funding sources.
WHAT TO DO ON PARADE DAY
In the morning 9:30 a.m. at Union Square Park area
* Help carting boxes from our office on Union Square West to expo site (north end of Union Square Park).
* Label exhibit tables in morning prior to parade; lay down kraft paper on tables.
* Be a personal assistant to organizer Pamela Rice.
At line-up and during parade (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
* Manage the sign boards: pass them out, make sure we get them back.
* Assist photographers on ladders (we'll have three).
* Megaphone management: pass them out at parade line-up, and make sure you get them all back later.
* Leaflet during the parade.
* Manage the leafleters.
* Twitter during parade to official parade Twitter site.
AT POST-PARADE EXPO IN PARK
After parade as the expo begins (in the north end of Union Square Park at about 1 p.m.)
* Banner management. Banners need to be properly hoisted on stages, then properly cared for and accounted for after parade.
* Man a Flip (video camera) with tripod; we'll have four pointed at stages and exhibitor tables.
* Be a personal assistant to expo manager Alan Rice.
* Menu table management & oversight. Keep menus neat and tidy throughout the day at the post parade rally & expo. They get picked over awfully fast.
* Assist sound technician and dj throughout the day.
* Oversee exhibitor tables: make sure exhibitors are abiding by all Parks Dept. rules and guidelines.
* Distribute food (food donations) to hungry crowds at post-parade expo.
* Pass out flyers and programs during the post-parade expo.
FOR ALL INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARADE, VISIT OUR WEB PAGE