Fw: WARNING: Coyotes in Glen Canyon

  • marlene tran
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2011

        So sorry that your dog was attacked!  Hope she will recover quickly.
        Thank you so much for giving this warning to everyone .
         Marlene
      P.S. Is there a dog lovers group in our communities? How about multilingual signs for everyone?  Please forward this e-mail.

      From: Shannon <sbatinich101@...>
      Subject: Coyotes in Glen Canyon
      Date: Wednesday, June 22, 2011, 3:30 PM
      I just wanted to send a note out to the group in case anyone takes their dogs to or hikes in Glen Canyon.

      I walk there with my dog, and this morning, she was attacked by a coyote. There are coyote alert signs out, and I'm always on the watch and careful, but we've never actually encountered one. (thank god I've actually read the signs and what to do if you come in contact with them)

      We were hanging in an open area for a few minutes, and the coyote came up behind her out from a wooded area. It bit her on the rear end, intending to take her down.

      I started shouting and clapping my hands loudly to scare it away, but it still followed us for a bit until I found some pieces of wood to throw at it. It finally gave up.

      She's a pretty good sized dog - 55 lbs. - so it shows that you can't assume they just go after small animals. It was a really scary experience, and we're very lucky it wasn't worse. She ended up with few puncture wounds on her tail and some scrapes.

      Not looking for any sympathy - I just want to make sure people are aware and that you are really careful if you hike there.     Bless you, Shannon!