Upcoming hike at Candlestick Point for kids and parents

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2012
      HIKE CANDLESTICK POINT STATE RECREATION AREA ON SUNDAY AUGUST 26TH

      You are invited to come for a walk at Candlestick Point State Recreation Area with friends, kids, and people newly met. I'm doing these monthly hikes just as a way to move my body, meet interesting adults, and let my kid play with a big old gang of kids the old fashioned way, outside. All ages welcome. Free and unsponsored.

      WHEN
      Sunday August 26th, meeting at 9:30 AM. Why so early? Because 9:30 am on that day is the peak of HIGH TIDE, and down by the water that means it's pretty special--extra lovely and smells wonderful. :-)

      WHERE TO MEET
      Meet near the bathrooms at the main parking lot off of Hunters Point Expressway. I'm sure you'll see the group. I'm going to make and Xerox maps for everyone, pointing out some sights and where our picnic spot would be.

      THE HIKE
      The terrain is flat, and the trails are wide and smooth. If your kid rides a bike or a trike, that would be great way to explore. I'll be on foot, going at the speed of my three-year-old.

      The hike is meant as a group thing, but with map in hand you are totally able to go at your own pace. One can always rendezvous for the picnic.

      WHAT TO BRING
      Food and water
      Sun protection
      Layers of clothing
      Fun and optional: kites, bikes, trikes, rollerblades, skateboards

      GETTING THERE
      Parking is free (exit at Candlestick Park off of 101 and head towards the water, following signs towards Hunters Point Expressway). For public transport, see: http://tripplanner.transit.511.org

      Cheers,
      Jessica

      jericahahn@...
      hillbabiessf.blogspot.com

      P.S.
      OPTIONAL GUNG-HO HIKE
      Anyone who wants a five-star hike could explore nearby Yosemite Slough, a tidal channel that has been polluted, but is now receiving a $14 million dollar restoration. The Slough is a fantastic place for bird watching come fall, and home to the endangered clapper rail.

      Group Hikes in 2012
      May—McLaren Park's southern slope
      June—Bayview Hill
      July—Visitacion Valley Greenway
      August—Candlestick Point State Recreation Area
      September—?

      Possible Future Hikes
      Glen Canyon, Mt. Davidson, Lands End, Heron's Head, Grandview Park (on the Green Hairstreak Butterfly corridor), Sign Hill in SSF, Russian Ridge, Rock City on Mt. Diablo! Basically SF and close by.