Re: Tour of Proposed Disc Golf Area in McLaren Park this Sunday

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2012
      I want to apologize for using caps on my first post about disc golf, but I do think we have started an important discussion about how our closest park is used, or potentially used. Disc golf is also a valid discussion topic on the Excelsior Parents' group as our local kids may or may not participate in this or other activities in the park.

      Each disc is ~quarter pound, smaller than a frisbee, and moves on average much faster than a frisbee. Quest AT (makers of the Inferno disc) has stated: "The average high speed launch is measuring about 50 mph with some launching up to 80 mph, the rpm at 50 mph is usually around 1000 rpm but we have seen it up to 2400 rpm."

      It would not be fun to be hit by one of these. I'm not suggesting that disc golf is analogous to Field Archery, where the missiles are truly lethal (but it is a spectrum).

      In terms of erosion and hard pack (where dirt is compacted until nothing grows there), and damage to trees, there are many noted examples online. There are before and after photos of disc golf in Golden Gate Park here: http://www.savemclarenpark.org/SMP4_ggpark.html.

      I want to disclose that I am a resident with a kid who loves to hike in McLaren Park because we live a few blocks from the park.
    • anne seeman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2012
        To add to Jessica's comments, I oppose dedicating a single use to such a large swath of McLaren Park. Also, this park is no longer "under-used" as those of us who frequent it have noticed. And the value of McLaren as the wild counterpart to Golden Gate Park still holds - with the influx of housing coming to our neighborhood, including at Sunnydale, adjacent to the park, we need to preserve open space for walking and hiking. These are activities that far more of us engage in than disc golf.

        Anne Seeman

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2012
          Hello all,

          Just weighing in with a few notes on this. I also live about a block from McLaren park and have a 4 1/2 month old son. My first.

          From what I understand, the disc golf group has bent over backwards to move their proposed area from a busy area to an under-used area of the park.

          I've also seen the Golden Gate Park course and the unique "sport" and free activity that disc golf has given that area of Golden Gate Park. It's got a good energy. Visiting relatives, I've also seen courses in other areas of the U.S. that seem to be positive community additions in parks. Not sure why there is so much negativity.

          I'd be very happy to have disc golf available for my son as he grows up next to McLaren Park.

          Doug