Tour of Proposed Disc Golf Area in McLaren Park this Sunday

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2012
      If you have a kid and like to walk in McLaren Park, please please consider how a proposed disc golf course will change the park. HIGH SPEED PROJECTILES THROWN BY ADULTS WHEN KIDS MIGHT BE USING THE TRAILS DON'T MIX WELL. You have the chance to make your voice heard this Sunday.

      It is also very important to check it out if you are a Vis Valley resident, as the disc golf area is mostly near our neighborhood.

      Public tour of proposed disc golf course
      this Sunday, June 3rd, 11am

      A representative from the San Francisco Disc Golf Club will lead a tour of the proposed 18-hole course in McLaren Park Sunday, June 3rd, 11am.
      Find out which trails, open spaces, woodland areas and picnic grounds will be sacrificed.
      Learn the locations of concrete tee boxes, fairways and metal baskets.
      Meet your neighbors and other volunteers dedicated to protecting McLaren Park.
      Join us Sunday, June 3rd at 11am at the June Jordan School parking area. (Brazil and La Grande).

      If you can volunteer to get the word out or distribute flyers, please contact Melanie@... or call the SMP hotline, 650-516-7657.

      This is a unique chance to walk the proposed course with a disc golf representative.
      Please make plans to attend!

      --- Background details ---
      Jeff Bowling of the SF Disc Golf Club recently presented a proposal for a new course in McLaren Park to the McLaren Park Collaborative, the District 11 Council, and the Excelsior District Improvement Association. Here are the important points:

      At the District 11 Council meeting, Bowling said that Rec and Park believes "The Golden Gate Park disc golf course is overutilized,” and could be made better if there were another course to help “spread the damage”.
      Bowling said that on a busy weekend the Golden Gate course hosts hundreds of players, adding that while progress has been made in dealing with various erosion, soil compaction, and tree damage issues, the crowds at Golden Gate cause considerable environmental damage.
      During his presentations, Mr. Bowling stated that the SFDG Club is open to other possibilities, adding that all they want is a place to play. Two options discussed are sharing space with a regular golf course, or using already-disturbed city land for a unique "artistic" disc golf course with large sculptures as obstacles rather than sensitive habitat areas.
      Save McLaren Park questions why McLaren Park's untrammeled and sensitive open spaces should be sacrificed to lessen the damage in Golden Gate Park.

      Looking for maps of McLaren Park? Click on the image to the left to see Save McLaren Park's extensive map library.

      Visit Save McLaren Park's web page to learn more
      and sign up for our mailing list
      Questions, comments, or observations
      about what's happening in McLaren Park?
      Send us an email
      or leave a message on SMP's Voicemail
      650-516-7657
    • Jess
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2012
        I want to apologize for using caps on my first post about disc golf, but I do think we have started an important discussion about how our closest park is used, or potentially used. Disc golf is also a valid discussion topic on the Excelsior Parents' group as our local kids may or may not participate in this or other activities in the park.

        Each disc is ~quarter pound, smaller than a frisbee, and moves on average much faster than a frisbee. Quest AT (makers of the Inferno disc) has stated: "The average high speed launch is measuring about 50 mph with some launching up to 80 mph, the rpm at 50 mph is usually around 1000 rpm but we have seen it up to 2400 rpm."

        It would not be fun to be hit by one of these. I'm not suggesting that disc golf is analogous to Field Archery, where the missiles are truly lethal (but it is a spectrum).

        In terms of erosion and hard pack (where dirt is compacted until nothing grows there), and damage to trees, there are many noted examples online. There are before and after photos of disc golf in Golden Gate Park here: http://www.savemclarenpark.org/SMP4_ggpark.html.

        I want to disclose that I am a resident with a kid who loves to hike in McLaren Park because we live a few blocks from the park.
      • anne seeman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2012
          To add to Jessica's comments, I oppose dedicating a single use to such a large swath of McLaren Park. Also, this park is no longer "under-used" as those of us who frequent it have noticed. And the value of McLaren as the wild counterpart to Golden Gate Park still holds - with the influx of housing coming to our neighborhood, including at Sunnydale, adjacent to the park, we need to preserve open space for walking and hiking. These are activities that far more of us engage in than disc golf.

          Anne Seeman

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2012
            Hello all,

            Just weighing in with a few notes on this. I also live about a block from McLaren park and have a 4 1/2 month old son. My first.

            From what I understand, the disc golf group has bent over backwards to move their proposed area from a busy area to an under-used area of the park.

            I've also seen the Golden Gate Park course and the unique "sport" and free activity that disc golf has given that area of Golden Gate Park. It's got a good energy. Visiting relatives, I've also seen courses in other areas of the U.S. that seem to be positive community additions in parks. Not sure why there is so much negativity.

            I'd be very happy to have disc golf available for my son as he grows up next to McLaren Park.

            Doug