McLaren Park and this November's Parks Bond Update

  • Ifitefire4u@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2012
      To the Mclaren park Community,

      I hate to keep rubbing the same topic in every ones face but we are half way into a very important parks bond rally for the November 2012 election and the letters of support for McLaren Park to be significantly represented in this measure are still in need.  Yes we are off to a great start, but in this lull we can't let our guard down while others continue to fight.

      Thank you to the 75  plus neighbors and friends of McLaren Park who have already sent in their letters to Rec and Park and their supervisors. That is amazing and I thank you all so much but in the next month we should try to double this number at least.

      How about if everyone who wrote a letter already tried to solicit one neighbor or a friend who lives in the city.  That would double our current letter count and keep the pressure on the powers to be.  These are the  people who will decide who gets 185 million dollars or more of your tax payer dollars!  Wouldn't you want to see that money go to our own neighborhood park?  The second largest park in the city which has been skipped over and ignored for what seems like eternity?

      This is an opportunity of a lifetime.  A chance to finally put McLaren park on the destination map and see it restored to what it rightfully should be, a fun and safe neighborhood park not a place to dump your trash or dead bodies as so many seem to think.

      The people to email or write are.... rec and park at this email

      The three supervisor districts that border McLaren Park are D9, D10, and D11.   Without all three supervisors working together we will fail in reaching the required amount to make a lasting impact on the park.  All three must be on the same page and completely aware that we do exist out here and we waited long enough (if you have been alive that long).  We want a returned investment for decades of property taxes with no return.  We want McLaren Park restored !!!

      Please spread the word!!!  Send a copy of your letter most importantly, to your supervisor and to the three supervisors below.

      D11 - John Avalos john.avalos@..., D10 - Malia Cohen malia.cohen@..., D9 - David Campos david.campos@...

      Mail me a copy as well to add to the growing pile of citizens, park advocates, neighbors, & parents who want a change and are tired of driving across town or to Golden Gate Park or ritzy neighborhoods for their park services.

      Please CC a copy to helpmlpark@...

      Chuck & Trilce Farrugia
      --Help McLaren Park
      Facebook - Help McLaren Park

      Sample letter below!!!!!  Just delete everything above the dashed line after you write down (copy & paste) the email address' above.  It's not that hard...really : )

      To whom it may concern,

      My name is                                     and I live on                              Street.  McLaren Park is in desperate need of care and attention.

      Please include a significant amount of funding for McLaren Park in the proposed 2012 Parks bond!  McLaren Park has 318 acres and is second in size only to Golden Gate Park. In the City's analysis for the 2008 Parks Bond, McLaren Park's capital needs were estimated at $57 million!  In the last 4 years of deferred maintenance and inflation, needs have only gotten greater.

      McLaren Park is simply much too large for volunteers and small private grants to fix. Public funds are urgently needed for trail upgrades, pedestrian safety improvements (especially crosswalks on Shelly Drive and Mansell Streets), repairing algae-filled McNab Lake, resurfacing courts, replacing lost play areas, baseball and soccer field repairs, basics like trash cans, benches, irrigation and major landscaping needs that RPD's 3 gardeners will never be able to contend with on their own. The thing I really want fixed is _____________________.

      As a neighborhood, we have been skipped over way too many times and the damage has been done because of it. Our park shows in it with every turn and with every view. I also am not a blind to the fleet of green trucks and the hundreds of workers, I pay with my meager income and high taxes, to maintain every other park in the city.  McLaren Park needs dedicated monies just like Golden Gate Park.  McLaren can not be compared to smaller city parks.  Until the day when John McLaren Park is a line item in the budget, just like Golden Gate Park, we need a significant amount of the 2012 Parks Bond to go towards McLaren Park.

      Please don't pass our neighborhoods by again!

      Thank you!

      Your Name Here
      Your Address Here