RE: Potential SE Sector USPS Closures

  • Salgado, Emily
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2011

      Dear Community Partners,

      Many of you have expressed concerns regarding the potential closures of three Southeast sector USPS offices – Visitacion Valley, Bayview-Hunters Point and McLaren.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention. On Monday, August 9 Senator Leland Yee issued the following statement to Sylvia Siu, Post Office Review Coordinator for the San Francisco District:

      Dear Mrs. Siu:

      I am writing to urge you to reconsider the potential closures of United Stated Postal Offices (USPS) in the Southeast communities of San Francisco that are vital to the existing and growing population residing there.

      The communities most affected by these closures are historically some of the most underserved and underrepresented in San Francisco. As a longtime representative of San Francisco, I have and will continue to advocate for services like those provided by the USPS in these neighborhoods.

      In recent years, residents of the Southeast sector have been working to preserve and adapt to changing populations and needs during a down economy. Communities affected by closures of the Visitacion Valley, McLaren and Bayview-Hunters Point USPS offices are largely comprised of low-to-moderate income families, immigrants and aging, longtime residents, many of whom do not own vehicles.  Simply put, these communities need, use and benefit from the proximity of postal services currently available and as these areas are slated to significantly increase in population over the next decade the need will become exponentially greater.

      For these reasons, I strongly urge you to reconsider the potential closures of USPS offices in the Southeast communities of San Francisco. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (415) 557-7857.

      Sincerely,
      Leland Y. Yee, Ph.D.
      California State Senate

      To the best of my knowledge there will be a public meeting regarding these potential closures within the next few weeks. Please feel free to follow up with our offices regarding this matter.

      Thank you,

      Emily

      Emily Salgado
      Office of Senator Leland Yee, Ph.D.