Re: [VC] GeoTiff and image import and PDF import

  • cursus_durotriges
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi Hal,

      To quote from the often malined Wikipedia
      'GeoTIFF is a public domain metadata standard which allows georeferencing information to be embedded within a TIFF file. The potential additional information includes map projection, coordinate systems, ellipsoids, datums, and everything else necessary to establish the exact spatial reference for the file. The GeoTIFF format is fully compliant with TIFF 6.0, so software incapable of reading and interpreting the specialized metadata will still be able to open a GeoTIFF format file.'

      Basically it is a way of putting coordinate data into a tiff so it will be spacially located correctly. Great for Aerial Photographs.

      A programe like Surfer (Golden Software) will import them and DXF into a basemap layer so you can combine CAD annotations on a Tiff and have them properly located. We use them also for things like photo rectification on building faces.

      There is an open source reader/writer called GDL which may give better info on file structure.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDAL

      Any and all help appriciated.

      Cheers

      Jeff

      --- In visualcadd@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Roenick" <hal_r@...> wrote:

      > Jeff,
      >
      > I am not familiar with GeoTiff, but can your programs that deal with them
      > convert them into simple Tiff files for import into V CADD.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Hal Roenick
      >
      > Principal
      > Creative Woodworking Concepts, Inc.
      > 905 Rivo Place
      > Tarpon Springs, FL 34689
      > W (727) 937-4165 Ext. 203
      > C (727) 487-3534
      > F (727) 934-0298
      > hal_r@...

    • Carl Thomas, Jr.
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 10 11:13 AM
        Android Market has Andcad- Demo to try free in android 2.1. In the field shoot a photo, load the image, measure a distance, set scale & start your sketch on the site. Then move to VC to do the real work.
        Tried it works well for 20 bucks & is going to devloupe more in a short time.

        Just a user. Not trying to sell this is app.

        Best regards,
        Carl