RE: [VC] Google Sketchup

  • Wayne Fougere
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2006
      Tim,

      > I seem to recall that there was some concern
      > expressed about the accuracy and/or precision
      > when doing detailed work.

      I don't have experience with Google SketchUp. If (on the other hand) you
      are wondering how accurate SketchUp is, I can assure you that it is as
      accurate as I need it to be. We work with 1/64th tolerances in our
      drawings. I do understand that it has a hard time with drawings of very
      tiny elements, but it is great for architecture.

      Regards,
      Wayne
    • Santolla
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2006
        I have the pro. Best and fastest 3d drawings program out there.

        Regards
        Aldo
        Surrey, BC, Canada

        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2006
          Aldo,

          I got turned on to SketchUp (before it went Google) by this
          fantastic Yahoo Group. SketchUp is amazing, valuable and necessary
          for the clients that require 3-D. However for me, the landscape
          symbols are too few and too obtuse for Florida's flora (I do
          landscape design). I have to make my own symbols and that is no
          small task. In fact, it is a real chore.

          It is mind boggling as to how much time flies when you are working
          in SketchUp. A couple of hours of work feels like you just started
          minutes ago.

          Brian Schatz
          Tampa, FL

          --- In visualcadd@yahoogroups.com, Santolla <santolla@...> wrote:

          > I have the pro. Best and fastest 3d drawings program out there.
          >

          > Regards
          > Aldo
          > Surrey, BC, Canada

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > _____

        • Santolla
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2006
            I know what you mean. I starting a house project and I was having
            troubles with the structural elements in it. I was able to model and
            house stick lumber by stick lumber with joists and beams, posts, studs,
            colour coded it all and was able to building the house from the
            foundation up. This was an excellent tool to solve my complex framing
            issues I had in the project.

            Regards
            Aldo
            Surrey, BC, Canada

            _____

            Message 5 of 17 , May 6, 2006
              Brian,

              > for me, the landscape symbols are too few
              > and too obtuse for Florida's flora
              > (I do landscape design). I have to make
              > my own symbols and that is no small task.
              > In fact, it is a real chore.

              Have you tried FormFonts (www,formfonts.com)? For a very small fee you have
              access to significant symbol material. If you don't see what you need, they
              take requests and might actually make symbols for you (though it would
              probably help if you provided a photo).

              > It is mind boggling as to how much time
              > flies when you are working in SketchUp.
              > A couple of hours of work feels like
              > you just started minutes ago.

              While it might only seem like a few minutes, you can create mountains of
              work in very sort order. SketchUp is a secret tool in my office. If you
              want your staff to hang around past closing time (I actually have to tell
              them to go home!), working harder and harder everyday (and loving it), you
              need to have SketchUp working for you. If you have more than 1 staff who
              might have to use the program, install the network version. I keep adding
              extra network licenses as my staff keep improving and wanting to use the
              program.

              Regards,
              Wayne
            • Wayne Fougere
              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2006
                Aldo,

                > Aldo
                > Surrey, BC, Canada

                Another local person using SketchUp and Visual Cadd! I'm always amazed when
                I find someone locally who uses VC, but to find someone who also uses
                SketchUp is really neat. If you'd like to chat or meet, give me a call.

                Regards,
                Wayne Fougere, maibc

                Fougere Architecture Inc.
                201 - 230 West Broadway
                Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 1P7

                Phone (604) 873-2907
                http://www.fougerearchitecture.ca
              • David Reid
                Message 7 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                  of course what we need is for Titools to allow us to Reference sketchup
                  into vcad. How about with v6 lads.

                  Regards Dave.

                  p.s. If you don't already, with sketchup make sure you use groups and
                  components for most things.
                • Santolla
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                    That would be a great idea. I would love to see a import/export add-on
                    for SketchUp directly to VCadd drawing files. Currently I have to save
                    as DWG (or DXF) and import my files into SketchUp. I would like to have
                    that step eliminated some day.

                    Regards
                    Aldo
                    Surrey, BC, Canada

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                      Guys,

                      Is the Sketchup Forum available to Google Sketchup users or only for the
                      "Pro" users? I cannot see it on the site and don't feel like this is the
                      right place to post it.....

                      I am using the free version and have some questions.

                      I agree that V CADD support of importing exported views would be a good
                      idea.

                      It is a very neat program. I have to decide if I will use it enough for the
                      $500.00 license fee though. It will not be as useful in business as it is in
                      many. It just works great for designing the house I am working on
                      though....very cool.

                      Hal

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                        You shouldn't have any troubles asking the SketchUp Form questions, pro
                        or free version.
                        The free version of SketchUp and the pro version work exactly the same
                        except for a few options.

                        In the free version you won't be able to print and export raster images
                        at higher-than-screen resolution, you won't have access to the following
                        3D export formats: DWG, DXF, 3DS, OBJ, XSI, VRML and FBX, you won't be
                        able to export animations and walkthroughs as MOV (Mac) or AVI (Windows)
                        files, and you won't have the Sandbox Tools (for organic modeling of
                        terrain, etc) and the Film & Stage Tools (for pre-viz work).

                        Other than that, everything else works the same in both versions.

                        Regards
                        Aldo
                        Surrey, BC, Canada

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                          Aldo,

                          What is the address for the forum?

                          Hal

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                            What you want can be found at...........

                            --- In visualcadd@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Roenick" <hal_r@...> wrote:

                            > Aldo,
                            >
                            > What is the address for the forum?
                            >
                            > Hal

                          • Wayne Fougere
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 8, 2006
                              > What is the address for the forum?

                              Access the forum through the SketchUp web site (www.sketchup.com). You will
                              fin the forums under the support section.

                              Wayne
                            • Harbor Architects
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 8, 2006
                                I've been a sketchup user for a long time, long before Google bought it. I
                                love it - it's a great program, and the support and training are excellent.
                                I love that I, a graphics person with no serious drafting experience to
                                speak of, can take the floor plans and elevations that the guys here draft,
                                and from that create a 3-d building in sketchup. It's quick, intuitive and
                                simple. And it really helps our clients envision the finished product.

                                Now that Google has bought it, they've introduced the free version. I
                                haven't tried it out but I'm told that it's just as good, just with a few of
                                the features removed.

                                If you really want to dive into sketchup, I'd suggest the online training
                                videos (they're free) at http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=35. And they do
                                training seminars all over the place. I just attended the Intermediate
                                seminar and I highly recommend them. I learned a lot and couldn't wait to
                                get back here and try it out myself.

                                Next to VCadd, it's one of the best tools we have.

                                Carrie A. Hubbard
                                Office Manager
                                Harbor Architects
                                (360) 532-0980
                                504 South F Street
                                Aberdeen, WA 98520
                                www.harborarchitects.com

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 8, 2006
                                  I see others have already know where the forum is...

                                  http://forum.sketchup.com/

                                  Regards
                                  Aldo
                                  Surrey, BC, Canada