Seeking Monastic Ordination in the Sangha

  • macdocaz1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hello, my name is Jeff Brooks. I live in the USA and I have been a lay
      follower of the Buddha for 30 years. In the duration of these three decades I have
      practiced meditation (Satipatthana) at least twice a day, as well as studied
      dhamma and reflected upon it almost daily, and I have endeavored to keep the 5
      lifetime precepts.

      I have observed the 8 precepts for 4 years now, and I now sit three times a
      day for at least an hour each time. I dedicate every waking moment to the
      benefit of all beings through teaching meditation (samadhi), wisdom (panna) and
      ethics (sila).

      As a consequence of the decades of my practice regimen I have given rise to a
      pleasant abiding in the here and now (jhana/dhyana). My meditations are
      exceedingly pleasant, and I do not lose awareness when the body sleeps. Through
      my practice the hindrances have been subdued, so I am not compelled to pursue
      obsessive and compulsive behaviors that are driven by greed, ignorance,
      delusion, doubt, grasping and aversion that are the manifestation of narcissism, thus
      I lead an ethical life, and am thus a good role model.

      I am now 50 years old. My last child is now grown and about to leave home,
      as he is fully independent. I am no longer married. My parents and my
      children have given their permission for me to seek ordination, therefore I would
      like to ordain and spend the remainder of this lifetime as a monastic follower of
      the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, teaching and counseling students in what I
      have come to embody, which is meditation (samadhi), wisdom (panna) and ethics
      (sila).

      Please tell me if you are able to offer such a one as myself an ordination
      program, or you know of one.

      Kindest regards,

      Jeff Brooks